Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2nddynascope Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 06:26 PM
    Laminate flooring double padding?
    Hello,
    I am about to install laminate flooring on a 2nd floor condo. Can I install double padding
    Underneath to deaden/eliminate noise? Will it make a difference in noise for downstairs neighbors? Or is double padding not adviseable. Will there be any
    Con issues using two pads?
    I do plan on using small area rugs on traffic areas.
    Thank you
    Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 28, 2007, 07:58 PM
    Double padding is not recommended because it will allow the laminate to deflect,bend more than it is designed to do. It may result in creaking or breakage of the tongue. It is good of you to think of your neighbors below but there are other options. You might be able to afford to move up to engineered wood flooring with a pad. It is much thicker and less noisy but more expensive. It is made of real wood and some carry a 30 year wear warranty.

Please rate my answer so I will know if I helped you. Good luck.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Feb 28, 2007, 08:50 PM
    Check out Pergo "Whisper Walk", and their newer "Silent Walk'. Make sure that flooring mfg approves of that underlayment, or it might void warranty.
    2nddynascope Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2007, 06:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr D
    Check out Pergo "Whisper Walk", and their newer "Silent Walk'. Make sure that flooring mfg approves of that underlayment, or it might void warranty.
    Thanks for your suggestions, previously I bought and still have an Armstong "Quiet Comfort" from Leows and today I purchased a roll of Traffic Master "Silent Step 3 in 1"Hdepot. I could not find any Pergo brand underlayment.

So now I'm looking for any advice of which to go with? Not sure if either of the above brands are well known, but I'm guessing the Traffic Master is closer to the Pergo "Silent Walk" you recommended.
    Well if anyone has any thoughts I'd be grateful, Sound is a issue for me since I'm on the 2nd floor.
    Thank You

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laminate Wood Flooring [ 5 Answers ]

My husband just recently installed laminate wood flooring throughout the house. Can someone please recommend how to clean these floors? Some people have said just spray a little water and damp mop. Can it be cleaned with any kind of cleaner? I just bought some Murphy's Oil for wood floors but on...

Laminate flooring [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a Quickstep laminate floor 4 years ago. The laminate is bubbling in several places. Quickstep has a 20 year warranty, but has denied my claim. They say I used the wrong pad under the flooring. I used the pad that was recommneded by the retailer and in the Quickstep installation...

Laminate flooring [ 1 Answers ]

Do I need to remove the skirting boards when laying laminate flooring

Laminate flooring [ 1 Answers ]

I have several sections of laminate flooring that have been chipped.Is there a way to replace just the damaged pieces?:confused:

Laminate flooring [ 5 Answers ]

I am considering installing laminate flooring in my house. My doubt is that we have two dogs and a cat. One of which has accidents. Is laminate flooring better in the long run than carpet, as far as the care and life?

View more questions Search