Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jwildman62 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2012, 01:45 PM
    I have a old maple tree and my neighbor is cutting the tap roots
    I bought the house 10 years ago and this guy wants me to cut it down. Im not cutting it down so now he's digging and cutting up the tap roots going on to his property is this aloud. From what I read hear and there he can cut anything above the ground I didn't plant this tree and its about 90 years old. Can anyone send some help!
    Thank you
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2012, 02:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jwildman62 View Post
    I bought the house 10 years ago and this guy wants me to cut it down. Im not cutting it down so now hes digging and cutting up the tap roots goin on to his property is this aloud. From what I read hear n there he can cut anything above the ground I didnt plant this tree and its about 90 years old. Can anyone send some help!!
    Thank you
    Where do you live... in most places if he does ANYTHING that kills the tree... he is liable for full financial restitution of the value of that tree... and a 90 year old tree has substantial value.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2012, 02:10 PM
    It is not the tap root, it is a surface root and maples are notorious for them. Should not be a problem to cut them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cutting maple roots [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning an addition to my house and will need to cut some roots of a grand Maple in my back yard. Whilst I am reasonably confident that the tree will not suffer catastrophically, I am wondering if the root will continue to grow and should I therefore cut it further back from the planned...

Maple tree roots [ 2 Answers ]

Should I cut down my big maple tree? I think its too close to my house.

Cutting Maple Tree Roots [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Georgia and have 2 Maple trees shading my patio. They are 25 feet apart. Their shade is such that grass will no longer grow in the area between them; so I want to convert that area into a garden with a flagstone path through it. It will need to be stepped down with three steps of 7in. One...

Maple tree roots [ 2 Answers ]

I have a maple tree with roots growing into the foundation of my house. These roots are all above ground. Can I cut them without killing the tree?:confused: TIA.. Gloria

Cutting maple tree roots [ 1 Answers ]

I am digging a 18" diameter hole for a carport footing. There is a 3 1/3 root that runs through the place where the hole is. The hole is about 20 feet from the tree and the root is about 2 feet from the surface. The tree is at least 40 years old and over 40 feet tall. Can I cut this root without...

View more questions Search