Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    busymom.7 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2012, 10:42 AM
    Concrete Repair
    We have a concrete stairway that winds up to the house from the street. There are several landings. The first two steps at the sidewalk have sunk and are sloping. How difficult is it to repair this without having to replace the entire landing? And what type of contractor should we get? Limited budget... trying to sell the house and need to make cost-effective repairs.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2012, 03:24 PM
    The concrete is most likely broken in the area of concrete behind the back corner of the second step. Sloped steps can be extremely dangerous for obvious reasons. Proper repair is very difficult. You may find a handyman that is willing to try and jack it up and stabilize but probably not anything most concrete contractors would be willing to get involved in. You may be able to ask around and find some carpenter or cement worker willing to take it on. I would not because I don't see a way to tie it back together-no access probably.
    My concern would be the stability off the step system above the broken step also.
    But you may find someone who can find a way to stabilize it. Home improvement big box stores usually have bulletin boards where some tradesmen and handyman types may leave a flyer or card.
    I would want to disclose that repair in whatever fashion is required or customary in your area.
    The buyers should have an opportunity to have it inspected by a home inspector of their choosing. Getting this disclosure documented in writing may save you some serious problems in the future, depending on the laws in your area.
    Without seeing it, I cannot say that it is a critcal items or not but it sounds like it could be.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete Cracks Repair [ 3 Answers ]

What type of cement should you buy, to fix small crack. Is a mortar type better that aggregate. It must be smooth. Is there a ready made mix for this type of repair in the marketplace?

New concrete repair from pitting and flaking [ 1 Answers ]

My grandmother recently had a new sidewalk and front porch installed in concrete. Over the winter it pitted and flaked really bad. I am assuming she did not use the correct ice melt. How can this be repaired.

Repair concrete water fountain [ 2 Answers ]

I have a large 3 tiered concrete water fountain (4 foot diameter of bottom tier) that leaks in the bottom tier. I left it uncovered last winter and it got a large crack in the bottom tier. I have tried to fix it with concrete patch stuff but it didn't hold up and started leaking again. The...

Repair concrete shower curb [ 0 Answers ]

We are retiling a bathroom with a concrete pan that is about 32 years old. Some of the concrete along the curb has crumbled or is broken up. Is there a way to repair these spots? We have not had any pan leaks so we think the floor is okay but we haven't removed the floor tile yet.

Repair concrete floor breaking apart [ 6 Answers ]

Our concrete garage slab is chipping and breaking away at the edge where it meets the aggregate driveway, exposing rocks and gravel now. Our home is not even 4yrs old. How can we fix this problem and what would cause it. I think the driveway has sunk a bit, it seems slightly lower than the...

View more questions Search