Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ExodusNow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 05:37 PM
    Inverse/Direct function
    Ok in my Algebra class we are learning about functions and such, and yesterday we learned about inverse variation. So I stumble across this problem in my homework and I have no idea what to do. Here it is:

Directions:
    f is the frequency, l is the wavelength, and v is the speed of sound. Use this information in the following problems.

15) The frequency of a note an octave about a given note is twice that of the given note. How does the wavelength of the higher note compare with that of the lower one?

EDIT
    Well I forgot to put what I DO understand so far so here goes...
    I know for inverse variations I need to do x1 * y1 = x2 * y2 and in direct variation I need to do x1/x2 = y1/y2. The thing is I have no idea what to make of this problem. Is it direct variation? Is it inverse variation? "The frequency of a note an octave about a given note is twice that of the given note"... does this mean I need to write 2f+1 = f? Since its twice that of the given note (2f) and is an octave above a given note (+1). Then it tells me "How does the wavelength of the higher note compare with that of the lower one?"... does this mean I have to set up a proportion? If I were to set up a proportion would that mean the problem is a direct variation problem? And if I have to set up a proportion, how do I do it with the given information?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 28, 2007, 06:10 PM
    I have no idea. I wasn't good at algebra in school, but have learned that for difficult medical questions and sources of information, if I Google it and am patient, the answer will be forthcoming. So try Google and good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

TV Out Function On [ 0 Answers ]

I've got a DVD drive and the PowerDVD 5.0 player and every time I try to watch a newer DVD, I get the error message "TV out function error", I look at the details and it says I can't play copyright protected DVD's with the TVout function enabled. The weird thing is, ALL my graphics adapters just...

Finding the inverse [ 2 Answers ]

How would I solve algebraically to determine that the equation y=(x+2)^2+1 is equivalent to y=(x-2)^2+1? I keep coming up this the wrong thing. Thanks

Trigonometric function [ 1 Answers ]

Please, I don't understand vector. I don't know how to solve or use it. :'( here are the question that I need help on. 1. Vector A points along the +y axis and has a magnitude of 100.00 units. Vector B points at an angle of 60.0 degrees above the + x axis and has a magnitude of 200.0 units....

View more questions Search