Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    5nkee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2012, 08:05 AM
    Stone to lay over patio concrete
    What if the patio is uneven with several joints. Will the paver overlays work on this or should I go with taking up the concrete and put in base work and pavers?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2012, 08:40 AM
    My experience is in highway and bridge construction so you have to take my suggestions with a grain of salt. There are latex modified overlay concrete materials which can be used in small thicknesses-and they are expensive I bellieve, but probably cheaper than a whole new concrete patio removal and replacement.
    Concrete pavements are oo often overlayed with hot mix asphalt to get rid of irregulaities (smell should go away in short order) but probably not easy to find highly qualified people to do it).
    Maybe sand under pavers would work if you can keep it confined and deter washout.
    Don't know what type of stone you are considering but you would basically make skateboards out of the pavers. Stone dust- maybe?
    Good drainage is also imperative if the patio abuts the home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stone Patio [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing a stone block patio with 16" square blocks. Is it necessary to compact the stones after installation like you would with pavers? With the size of the blocks I am concerned that they will become unlevel if I compact them. Bradley

What do I need to lay flag stone on a stove Hearth over cement board 1 in. Stone [ 1 Answers ]

I'am building a 20sq. ft. raised hearth for a woodstove. I put down 3/4 plywood. I'am going to put down cement board for fire code. What do I need to lay 1 in. flagstone over this./ mortor mix/ sand?

How do I lay concrete over concrete to avoid chipping, flaking and cracking? [ 4 Answers ]

I am considering overlaying concrete over concrete in the basement. How can I best do this to avoid problems with it in the future. I plan on coloring the cement before I say or staining it once it has been overlayed. I want to do it right the first time. Thanks

Concrete Patio (Cover with stone or demo) [ 1 Answers ]

We live in Chicago and have a concrete (exposed aggregate) patio/pool hardscape/coping of about 700sqft. The concrete patio has 2X2 or 2X4 wood joints that are rotting. We would like to cover the concrete. The wood joints basically create 8X8 slabs. My questions are: * Can I fill in the...

Laying patio stone on top of concrete [ 1 Answers ]

The previous owners to our house made a concrete foundation for their dog kennel in the yard. Now we have a 14 x 18 ft concrete area in our yard that looks very ugly. Is it possible to cover it with nice patio stone. Everywhere I read about patio stone it says that you first have to excavate and...

View more questions Search