Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2007, 04:35 PM
    Clueless about PHP but need to edit a file.
    Can someone direct me to the basics... or better yet, show me the correct editing for the first part of the page so that I might be able to learn from it and edit the rest?

Here's the page I want to edit:
    SMF User Help: Introduction

And here's the code of the first section:
    Code:
    $txt['manual_index_you_have_arrived_part1'] = 'So you've arrived at this ';
    $txt['manual_index_you_have_arrived_link_site0'] = 'Simple Machines Forum';
    $txt['manual_index_you_have_arrived_part2'] = ' (SMF)! Perhaps you've been looking at the ';
    $txt['manual_index_you_have_arrived_link_site0_board'] = 'board index';
    $txt['manual_index_you_have_arrived_part3'] = ' or a screen telling you that you need to register before you can read it and you're wondering what to do next?';
    $txt['manual_index_guest_permit_read_part1'] = 'Well, some forums permit guests to read and post, some permit guests to read only and some are restricted to registered members. We'd recommend ';
    $txt['manual_index_guest_permit_read_link_registering'] = 'registering';
    $txt['manual_index_guest_permit_read_part2'] = ' at any forum that you see yourself using regularly because many of the most useful features will only become available to you when you do so. Since SMF, however, is such a flexible system that few forums are likely to be identical, we will start by describing four key areas that we'd normally expect to be there for you:';
    $txt['manual_index_main_menu'] = 'The Main Menu';
    Thank you.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 28, 2007, 04:39 PM
    So what are you trying to do ?
    Have you checked out THIS?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2007, 04:44 PM
    Thanks, Ben. I'll check that out.

No, I've never even attempted to edit anyting or learn anything about php before.

... I guess it ain't going to be as simple as editing an html page, huh? :(
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 28, 2007, 04:47 PM
    Well it can be, after all it's just a different type of coding ;)
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Oct 31, 2007, 10:53 AM
    I've found the Simple Machines Community Forum to be a great place for SMF modification help.

Vasily

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

File, Edit, View, Favorites Tools, Help [ 4 Answers ]

How do you keep the above on the top left hand screen of your computer, is it something to do with tools etc.

Clueless [ 1 Answers ]

I have suffered for the last month with dizzies heart pounding very tierd even after sleeping for 12 hours vison problems chest pain hot flushes neck pain body treamorsbeen to doctor had blood test galore ultra sound of heart been to hospital many many times they all keep telling me its annexity I...

Edit file names on massive number of files [ 2 Answers ]

I've got files on a hard drive that I want to make more web friendly by removing things like caps and spaces: 31,000 files 1,500 folders 20GB I've found a variety of renaming utilities but I'm afraid of just trying anything. Does anyone have experience with something like this that can...

How PHP Handle XML File? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Would you please help? I'm currently using PHP Version 4.3.11. Q#1. If I'd like to created a php page to read a XML file which is generated by Oracle server. What function do I need in php to handle this event? Q#2. Do I need to install a higher php version in order to do so? ...

PHP File upload and Perl [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, I am using a perl script to access the webpages designed in PHP. I donot know how to automate the file upload part of the site. Can anyone help me. FYI:I am using WWW::Mechanize module of perl Thanks, Novice_perl

View more questions Search