Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tarapaige Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 03:34 PM
    Space Above Kitchen Cabinets
    I am getting ready to move into a new home and we want to add some spice to our kitchen by decorating the space between the top of the cabinets and the ceiling. We have thought about setting ivy or some vine-like things up there, but I was just wondering if any of you had any other ideas? Thanks! :D
    Rosheart Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 05:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tarapaige
    I am getting ready to move into a new home and we want to add some spice to our kitchen by decorating the space between the top of the cabinets and the ceiling. We have thought about setting ivy or some vine-like things up there, but I was just wondering if any of you had any other ideas? Thanks! :D
    Hard question considering I don't know your preferred home decor or location which both are big factors. But here's a couple of ideas. Antique dinner plates on plate stands. These could be interspersed with things like a coffee grinder, cool wine bottle & baskets. Consider also lighting strips behind the objects. Have fun! Ro
    tarapaige Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2007, 10:07 AM
    Thank you, that is a good idea! To give a little more information we live in Indiana and I would say that our décor is contemporary. Our cabinets are a medium "spice" color, our counters and floor are a beige color, and our appliances are stainless steel. And the walls are yellow. Thanks again for your suggestion!
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Tara, I think Ro had some nice ideas.

It really is hard for people to make suggestions without seeing the room. Other considerations are size and openness. Is it a large room? Are there a lot of windows? Do you have a lot of sunlight streaming in? Or is it small and dark?

Contemporary décor is usually very difficult to work with in a kitchen. You don't want to lose the line of the cabinetry standing out against the background of the wall. The play of the dark cabinetry against yellow wall is important. If it is a small room, and you overfill that space, it can make that area look small and cluttered.

Depending on the length of the wall/cabinets you might want to hang some favorite contemporary artwork along that space. The theme should be the same. They should be the same size and spaced evenly. You want them small enough to center on the wall. Ro's idea of plates is a good one too. But, if you have a contemporary theme, you might want to choose contemporary plates. If you have a TJ Maxx or Home Goods store near you, those would be good places to find plates.

However, before you do anything, I think the best thing for you to do would be to stop by a local Barnes & Nobles or Borders bookstores if you have any near you. There is a huge magazine section in both. Look at the decorating magazines. There are some that are specifically for kitchens and baths. Others are dedicated to contemporary designs. Flip through them and see if you can pick up any ideas there.

Good luck!
    Jamie88 Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Mar 3, 2007, 02:54 PM
    Do you collect anything? I have pitchers and tea pots on top- you could also use a wallpaper border- Ivy is something that is a bit dated- if you like antiques put that up there- just do whatever you collect- gives people something more to look at then just green that will get dusty and is hard to clean
    Hope that helps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Refinishing kitchen cabinets [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a home improvement beginner with a capital B- so this question might be silly - but I have to start somewhere. I have dark brown stained wood kitchen cabinets. I would like to lighten the stain to be lighter brown- or maybe even paint them a lighter color. Is it possible to stain a lighter...

Painting veneered kitchen cabinets [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking to freshen up kitchen cabinets with paint. Cabinets are veneered wood outside surface.

Painting kitchen cabinets [ 1 Answers ]

Our kitchen cabinets are dark brown and I believe are made of formica. What is the best way to paint them? Do we need to use a deglosser on them? What is the best primer and paint to use? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Painting Kitchen Cabinets [ 4 Answers ]

:( Two weeks ago, I decided to paint my kitchen cabinets. Unfortunately, I misread the directions I had obtained searching on the internet. I cleaned the cabinets really well with a degreaser, removed them all. My husband added trim. I sanded the new trim but didn’t sand the old varnish that was on...

Refinishing kitchen cabinets [ 3 Answers ]

Yes I want to paint my kitcen cabinets a light color (they are a verydark brown now)they have probably 4 coats of paint on them now I tried to strip them and was unsuccessful if I prime them and repaint them they will look terrible what should I do? I was considering maybe sanding but would really...

View more questions Search