Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laurcia Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Jun 23, 2012, 09:18 AM
    Helpful advice needed for a sick puppy
    I have had my puppy from day 1 I have his mom and brother, but he has not eat for 3 days he is throwing up and diarrhea for 2 days and won't drink. I think it might have been something he eat he is 12 weeks and mom and brother are good
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 23, 2012, 09:30 AM
    Please get this dog to a vet asap. He sounds very sick! He will not live much longer without food and water. If he has parvo, his sibling and maybe his mother are also in danger of getting sick and dying.

Jun 23, 2012, 09:35 AM
    There is only 1 vet in my small town and they are not open till Monday
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 23, 2012, 10:19 AM
    My guess is the pup will be dead by then, or close to it. And the other pup is in very much danger. Do you have Gatorade or Pedialyte? The sick pup must be hydrated (given liquids). Use an eyedropper to give him some frequently. Is there a vet emergency number to call?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 23, 2012, 10:29 AM
    Yes, keep the puppy away from the other dogs, and don't let them around the area where this dog is. Yes he may not last till Monday, so he needs to get to a vet
    Frank Mangrum Posts: 86, Reputation: -3

Jun 23, 2012, 11:27 AM
    Another precaution to guard against possible contamination of sick pup would be to use Clorox Bleach (use as directed on container for disinfecting) and disinfect all areas that other dogs could come in contact with. Spray bottle works great.

Jun 23, 2012, 01:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by laurcia View Post
    I have had my puppy from day 1 i have his mom and brother, but he has not eat for 3 days he is throwing up and diarrhea for 2 days and won't drink. I think it might of been something he eat he is 12 weeks and mom and brother are good
    Is pup any better? Have you been able to give him any fluids or nutrition----I placed a call to my vet----but no answer yet------I wish pup well. FFrank ---P.S. What kind of pup is this----large or small breed?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2012, 04:08 PM
    I have had my puppy from day 1 i have his mom and brother, but he has not eat for 3 days he is throwing up and diarrhea for 2 days and won't drink. I think it might of been something he eat he is 12 weeks and mom and brother are good

What did he eat? These are symptoms of everything from parvo to a stomach upset to poisoning.

He needs to see a Vet - in the meantime, yes, keep him hydrated.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2012, 04:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Mangrum View Post
    Another precaution to guard against possible contamination of sick pup would be to use Clorox Bleach (use as directed on container) and disinfect all areas that other dogs could come in contact with. Spray bottle works great.

This is dangerous advice if the other dogs are in the vicinity - the advice is to mix, WIPE DOWN the surfaces, dry - to be on the safe side rinse and then dry.

Jun 23, 2012, 04:23 PM
    He is the same keeping down a little of water. He is a large breed dog

Jun 23, 2012, 04:27 PM
    He had a toy duck and some of the pieces are gone ( plastic) I throw it away when I found a bite out it
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jun 23, 2012, 04:31 PM
    Try giving him gatorade or pedialyte to keep hydrated and attempt to balance electrolytes.
    The cleaning should be done with 1/32 solution of bleach and water. One part bleach to 32 equal parts water, you do need to keep them separated if this parvo. You should also get rid of any bedding, toys, soft items that you can't clean.
    You can bleach food and water bowls or throw them out and get new, up to you.
    Is the diarrhea foul smelling and bloody looking?
    Cats Expert

Jun 23, 2012, 04:32 PM
    Is the other pup fine at this point?
    Cats Expert

Jun 23, 2012, 04:33 PM
    Eating/drinking/ normal stools and activity?

Jun 23, 2012, 04:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    Eating/drinking/ normal stools and activity?
    Yes the other puppy is fine

Jun 23, 2012, 04:39 PM
    Try giving him gatorade or pedialyte to keep hydrated and attempt to balance electrolytes.
    The cleaning should be done with 1/32 solution of bleach and water. One part bleach to 32 equal parts water, you do need to keep them separated in the event that this parvo. You should also get rid of any bedding, toys, soft items that you can't clean.
    you can bleach food and water bowls or throw them out and get new, up to you.
    is the diarrhea foul smelling and bloody looking?
    its not bloody but foul smelling yes
    Cats Expert

Jun 23, 2012, 04:40 PM
    If you are missing toy parts then it is possible that he has eaten them and this is causing his troubles. That still doesn't count out parvo if exposure time for the other pup was different.
    This still is not to be taken lightly if he has an obstruction he could still be is serious trouble when you are able to get him to the vet.
    Have you checked to see if there is an emergency facility in your area?
    It would be a little more expensive. But your pup may not be able to wait.

Jun 23, 2012, 04:43 PM
    If you are missing toy parts then it is possible that he has eaten them and this is causing his troubles. That still doesn't count out parvo if exposure time for the other pup was different.
    This still is not to be taken lightly if he has an obstruction he could still be is serious trouble when you are able to get him to the vet.
    have you checked to see if there is an emergency facility in your area?
    It would be a little more expensive. but your pup may not be able to wait.
    there is no emergency vets near me they are all about an hour away

Jun 23, 2012, 04:54 PM
    Sorry still no call from my vet---Seems I am in same boat as you---NO VET CARE ON WEEKENDS---Since pup is a larger breed you have a better chance to see vet Monday. Keep pup as hydrated as possible and give food as allowed. We will hang in there till Monday if need be---- I will try my vet again----Keep me informed----Best wishes---fFrank--- P.S. Please see one hour away vet if pup gets worse. It may be very well in pups best interest if you see vet A.S.A.P.
    Cats Expert

Jun 23, 2012, 04:56 PM
    Well none of us can diagnose over the internet, but from the sounds of things it could be a number of things.
    Parasites, parvo, obstruction, dietary indiscretion.
    So a few more questions if you don't mind, mainly to give you something to think about.
    Has he been dewormed?
    Has he gotten into any trash or different food than he is used to?
    Has he been around other unvaccinated pups or dogs or to the dog park or any other public place where dogs are?
    What color is the poop? Normal color or dark?
    Is he only throwing up after eating or is he trying even when he hasn't eaten or drank anything?
    Now get the number to the emergency clinic and give them a call, give the answers to these questions and have them advise you further. They can't diagnose over the phone but with much information they will be able to guide you.
    Make sure to tell them about the toy.
    A phone call will cost you nothing and may be helpful to you.
    Ask about prices in case you get in a bind and have to take him in.
    I know it's a long drive but you may have little choice if you have a way to get him there.
    Give them a call and come back and tell us how it goes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Possible Pregnancy? Any advice/helpful words/encouragement? [ 4 Answers ]

All right. Hello, my name is Arra and I think I might be pregnant obviously. My period ended on 5/25/2011. About a week and a half later I experienced a change in my vaginal discharge. There was more of it and it was sort of mucus like. Slimy and thin like snot. Gross I know. I believe that that...

I am four teen and gay and need some helpful advice [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 14 years old and gay I'm not out although 2 of my close friends know. I am very nervous of telling my parents because I don't get on with my dad. I want to tell my friends but it's really hard to because I don't want everyone at school finding out, I feel that it is right to tell my parents...

Cat sick but vet hasn't been helpful [ 8 Answers ]

My cat was not eating for a four days after vomiting clear slavia or a bile looking substance I took him to the vet four days in a row following to get hydrated and for some appetite pills. X rays were taken each time and nothing was found but gas. The cat then slowly came around and started...

Simple Question -any advice will be helpful [ 15 Answers ]

I was divorced last year. We have two children and I am still struggling. I was the first signer on my ex-husbands truck, he was the "co-buyer." In our decree he was declared responsible for the truck payment since I have the house and all other debt - which I pay regularly, but not easily. My...

View more questions Search