Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laurcia Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Jun 23, 2012, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    Well none of us can diagnose over the internet, but from the sounds of things it could be a number of things.
    Parasites, parvo, obstruction, dietary indiscretion.
    So a few more questions if you don't mind, mainly to give you something to think about.
    Has he been dewormed?
    Has he gotten into any trash or different food than he is used to?
    Has he been around other unvaccinated pups or dogs or to the dog park or any other public place where dogs are?
    What color is the poop? normal color or dark?
    Is he only throwing up after eating or is he trying even when he hasn't eaten or drank anything?
    Now get the number to the emergency clinic and give them a call, give the answers to these questions and have them advise you further. They can't diagnose over the phone but with much information they will be able to guide you.
    Make sure to tell them about the toy.
    A phone call will cost you nothing and may be helpful to you.
    Ask about prices in case you get in a bind and have to take him in.
    I know it's a long drive but you may have little choice if you have a way to get him there.
    Give them a call and come back and tell us how it goes.
    OK I will do that thanks to all. Be back later
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jun 23, 2012, 05:16 PM
    I'll be here, good luck.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2012, 05:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Mangrum View Post
    Sorry still no call from my vet---Seem's i am in same boat as you---NO VET CARE ON WEEKENDS---Since pup is a larger breed you have a better chance to see vet monday. Keep pup as hydrated as possible and give food as allowed. We will hang in there till monday if need be---- I will try my vet again----Keep me informed----Best wishes---fFrank--- P.S. Please see one hour away vet if pup gets worse.

So that I have this right - you think your Vet is going to diagnose OP's puppy, a puppy totally unfamiliar to him, a breed that hasn't even been posted, a size that hasn't been posted, over the telephone?

Jun 24, 2012, 03:10 AM
    I'll be here, good luck.
    well I have been up all night going on 24 hours with him is doing OK he is still peeing and he is still getting up and walking around( little but that's good) the vet said he is going to call a check up on him throughout the day. His temp. Is good I'm hoping he stays getting better!
    Cats Expert

Jun 24, 2012, 03:37 AM
    I came back just for this news, thanks for updating.
    Is he able to eat at all? Keeping down the gatorade?
    The emergency vet is going to call or your regular vet?
    What results did you get when you called?
    I surely hope he does well for you, I know it can be very difficult to watch a pet who is not doing well.
    I wish you and your pup luck.
    I'll be checking back for more updates, keep us posted.

Jun 24, 2012, 03:44 AM
    I came back just for this news, thanks for updating.
    Is he able to eat at all? Keeping down the gatorade?
    The emergency vet is going to call or your regular vet?
    What results did you get when you called?
    I surely hope he does well for you, I know it can be very difficult to watch a pet who is not doing well.
    I wish you and your pup luck.
    I'll be checking back for more updates, keep us posted.
    Not eating yet and the emergency vet is going ti be calling. He is keeping most of it down still little coming up.
    Cats Expert

Jun 24, 2012, 03:47 AM
    Great! So it sounds like this particular emergency clinic will be very helpful to you.
    I was hoping that would be the case.
    Keep me posted OK?

Jun 24, 2012, 03:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by laurcia View Post
    not eating yet and the emergency vet is going ti be calling. He is keeping most of it down still little coming up.
    He said it sounds like prove and it will be 400$ for a visit. He told me I'm doing a good job and keep it up he might make it till Monday so he can go to the vet here
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2012, 05:33 AM
    And what did he say about the other dogs?

Did this puppy have the parvo shot and developed parvo anyway?

Parvo scares me - do you know where he caught it?
    Cats Expert

Jun 24, 2012, 06:45 AM
    Agreed, Parvo is scary.
    And unfortunately there are no guarantees, you can have an up day followed by a down day.
    Just in case, please prepare yourself if you need to take him into the emergency vet, ask friends, family use an almost maxed out credit card if you must. Do what you need to do in the event you need access to that money.
    Of course I am going to say that his best chances are to get medical help sooner rather than later, I work in a vet clinic and it comes with the territory.
    After this make sure that you get the other dogs and this one fully vaccinated.
    You still have about 24 hours to go if you plan to continue at home, so be diligent if that is your choice. If you cannot make it to the emergency vet get him to your vet ASAP tomorrow morning, make sure they understand the seriousness of the situation and don't settle for an afternoon appointment.
    Frank Mangrum Posts: 86, Reputation: -3

Jun 24, 2012, 07:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by laurcia View Post
    He said it sounds like prove and it will be 400$ for a visit. He told me I'm doing a good job and keep it up he might make it till Monday so he can go to the vet here
    It is great to hear pup is hanging in there and you are in touch with vet---This makes my day. I have had some experince with dogs with Parvo when I volunteered at local SPCA shelter. Normally symptoms of first stages of parvovirus is high elevated body temperatures followed by diarrhea,vomiting and not eating --dog just wants to lie around and not be active any if at all. Advanced stages of parvo is very deadly---I don't think we are near that stage. Since your pup is not experienceing high fever I am some what optimistic this may not be parvovirus.
    It is very important to keep sick pup isolated from other dogs and keep sick pups surroundings very much disinfected to prevent spread of possible parvovirus. Use latex gloves when handling sick pup and his byproducts---this will help from spreading the germs. My prayers are with you and sick pup----Please keep us posted---I wish you and sick pup well my friend--- fFrank
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2012, 07:21 AM
    Agreed, Parvo is scary.
    And unfortunately there are no guarantees, you can have an up day followed by a down day.
    Just in case, please prepare yourself if you need to take him into the emergency vet, ask friends, family use an almost maxed out credit card if you must. Do what you need to do in the event you need access to that money.
    Of course I am going to say that his best chances are to get medical help sooner rather than later, I work in a vet clinic and it comes with the territory.
    After this make sure that you get the other dogs and this one fully vaccinated.
    You still have about 24 hours to go if you plan to continue at home, so be diligent if that is your choice. If you cannot make it to the emergency vet get him to your vet ASAP tomorrow morning, make sure they understand the seriousness of the situation and don't settle for an afternoon appointment.

LadySam, at what age do puppies get Parvo vaccinations?
    Cats Expert

Jun 24, 2012, 07:44 AM
    Darn computer, now I got to type this again.
    Beginning at the age of 6-8 weeks with he first vaccine, then every 3-4 weeks after that for a series of three. There is also a parvo only booster that can be given after the series of three.
    After that every dog should be vaccinated yearly.
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2012, 08:12 AM
    With a puppy I'm concerned - sometimes these threads are helpful to other people. I IMMEDIATELY checked my puppy's records and, yes, he's had the vaccines. I know it's a virus and it hit my area hard about 8 years ago.

Thanks for the (always) good info.
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2012, 09:17 AM
    Normally symtoms of first stages of parvovirus is extreme elevated body temperatures followed by diarrhea an not eating --dog just wants to lie around and not be active any if at all. Advanced stages of parvo is very deadly---we are not near that stage. Since your pup is not experancing high fever I am optimistic this may not be parvovirus.fFrank

For the OP, I'm reading that the symptoms are:

"Lack of appetite; 2. Vomiting; 3. Diarrhea - yellow, dark brown, or bloody foul smelling diarrhea; 4. Depression/lethargy; 5. High or low grade fever; 6. Dehydration AND

Stools have a gelatin like appearance with little or no blood; Vomiting is frothy bile or foam; Rapid weight loss within a few hours of becoming ill." http://www.parvopuppy.com/symptoms.htm

I see nothing that indicates the puppy HAS to have a high fever or that this particular puppy does or doesn't have a fever.

I also don't know if the puppy, its littermate, its mother, have HAD their vaccines or where the puppy has been.

Scary stuff, indeed.
    Frank Mangrum Posts: 86, Reputation: -3

Jun 24, 2012, 11:11 AM
    Laurcia, Please go to this web site--- http://pets.webmd/dogs/parvo.htm--- Type in or find "canine parvovirus" ---Think this will help you to understand parvovirus and what to look for that may help pup. Best wishes---fFrank P.S. How is pup doing?
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2012, 11:19 AM
    Laurcia, Please go to this web site--- http://pets.webmd/dogs/parvo ---think this will help you to understand parvovirus and what to look for to help pup. Best wishes---fFrank

That takes me to a search engine, not a site.

Jun 24, 2012, 11:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    That takes me to a search engine, not a site.
    he is OK drinking on his own and not throwing it up. He WILL make it till tomorrow!! Then to the vet at 7am Monday morning. Thanks to everyone that has helped and is here for pup. We need him around his father got killed in April we had him for 6 years. And this pup looks just like his dad that's why we keep him. Love all my pest and I hate to see any of them sick.
    Cats Expert

Jun 24, 2012, 11:51 AM
    It is great to hear pup is hanging in there and you are in touch with vet---This makes my day. I have had some experince with dogs with Parvo when I volunteered at local SPCA shelter. Normally symtoms of first stages of parvovirus is high elevated body temperatures followed by diarrhea,vomiting and not eating --dog just wants to lie around and not be active any if at all. Advanced stages of parvo is very deadly---I don't think we are near that stage. Since your pup is not experienceing high fever I am some what optimistic this may not be parvovirus.
    It is very important to keep sick pup isolated from other dogs and keep sick pups surroundings very much disinfected to prevent spread of possible parvovirus. Use latex gloves when handling sick pup and his byproducts---this will help from spreading the germs. My prayers are with you and sick pup----Please keep us posted---I wish you and sick pup well my friend--- fFrank
    Quite the editing job since I checked this post last and responded to the question about vaccines.

None of us can assume that this pup has not had a fever, we haven't stood by with a rectal thermometer.
    We also cannot attempt (by what is stated here) to give false hope by stating your optimism that it is not parvo. The fact is it may or may not be, there are other possibilities given the history.
    The pup is sick, it needs medical attention, the Op is attempting to care for him as best he can until such time that he can get him into the vet. That is what we know.
    And I may add that OP has been in contact with a vet and is taking the vets' advice for care also.

Jun 24, 2012, 11:57 AM
    Quite the editing job since I checked this post last and responded to the question about vaccines.

None of us can assume that this pup has not had a fever, we haven't stood by with a rectal thermometer.
    We also cannot attempt (by what is stated here) to give false hope by stating your optimism that it is not parvo. The fact is it may or may not be, there are other possibilities given the history.
    The pup is sick, it needs medical attention, the Op is attempting to care for him as best he can until such time that he can get him into the vet. That is what we know.
    And I may add that OP has been in contact with a vet and is taking the vets' advice for care also.
    he don't have a temp I have been taking it. It is and has Been normal the pas 3 days 101.3 - 101.9.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Possible Pregnancy? Any advice/helpful words/encouragement? [ 4 Answers ]

All right. Hello, my name is Arra and I think I might be pregnant obviously. My period ended on 5/25/2011. About a week and a half later I experienced a change in my vaginal discharge. There was more of it and it was sort of mucus like. Slimy and thin like snot. Gross I know. I believe that that...

I am four teen and gay and need some helpful advice [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 14 years old and gay I'm not out although 2 of my close friends know. I am very nervous of telling my parents because I don't get on with my dad. I want to tell my friends but it's really hard to because I don't want everyone at school finding out, I feel that it is right to tell my parents...

Cat sick but vet hasn't been helpful [ 8 Answers ]

My cat was not eating for a four days after vomiting clear slavia or a bile looking substance I took him to the vet four days in a row following to get hydrated and for some appetite pills. X rays were taken each time and nothing was found but gas. The cat then slowly came around and started...

Simple Question -any advice will be helpful [ 15 Answers ]

I was divorced last year. We have two children and I am still struggling. I was the first signer on my ex-husbands truck, he was the "co-buyer." In our decree he was declared responsible for the truck payment since I have the house and all other debt - which I pay regularly, but not easily. My...

View more questions Search