Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ekeo_broken Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2012, 12:35 AM
    Adopted, looking for birth parents
    I was in a foster home since I was a baby and the family that fostered me eventually adopted me and my half brother, I was looking to know how can I find my birth parents? I only know my real name and birthplace, and my half brother's real name. So it would be pretty hard I guess, and I have no money to hire anyone so yeah... It'd be a huge help...
    ali18ninja Posts: 159, Reputation: 16

Jun 23, 2012, 12:55 AM
    Do you have a birth certificate? If not, go to the hospital you were born at and request one. You NEED to have your birth certificate anyway. It will have your birth parent's names on there. You can use that as a start. If you want to do it the old fashioned way, look at a phone book after you have that information and make random calls to people.

Jun 23, 2012, 01:04 AM
    I have the one issued to me as an adoptive child, but not the one before I was adopted...

Jun 23, 2012, 01:10 AM
    You need the hospital one where you were born. You have a right to have it so that's where you need to start.

Jun 23, 2012, 01:24 AM
    That's a problem as I currently live half way across the world from where I was born...

Jun 23, 2012, 01:35 AM
    Call them and see what they say. They will ask for proof of identification so you may need to email your foster care birth certificate. If you were born in the US then you'll also need your social security number and possibly a photo i.d. with your name. You'll have to call them and ask about getting your birth certificate though and see what they say.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 24, 2012, 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ali18ninja View Post
    You need the hospital one where you were born. You have a right to have it so that's where you need to start.
    Actually, NO--you do NOT have a right to your original birth certificate if you are adopted.

You have a right to your LEGAL birth certificate--which is the one that shows your adoption.

Also, if you are a minor, you don't have the right to search at all.

What do your adoptive parents say about the whole situation?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 24, 2012, 01:05 PM
    In most of the world, no once adopted your "birth certificate" is the new one, you can not get your first one. And in the US, birth certificates are not gotten at the hospital, but from a governmennt office operated by the state.

But the issue is, WHY, you had a family that loved you and raised you, are they not YOUR parents
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2012, 03:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ali18ninja View Post
    Do you have a birth certificate? If not, go to the hospital you were born at and request one. You NEED to have your birth certificate anyway. It will have your birth parent's names on there. You can use that as a start. If you want to do it the old fashioned way, look at a phone book after you have that information and make random calls to people.

This is very bad, incorrect advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm adopted and I want to find the names of my birth parents, but not contact them? [ 6 Answers ]

Not sure if it was a closed or open adoption

I'M Adopted How Do I Find My Birth Parents? [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to find out about my birth mother and if I have any siblings

How can I find out if I am adopted if my parents won't show me my birth certificate [ 23 Answers ]

My parnets won't show me my birth certificate. And I think I might be adopted, so how can I find out if I am

I was adopted(birth parents are dead) but my adopted father is a deadbeat dad.. [ 7 Answers ]

I was adopted(birth parents are dead) but my adopted father is a deadbeat dad... My mother re-married & he husband (stepfather) has been what I consider my father. How can I have my adopted fathers name taken off my birth certificate & add my step fathers name? My mother is now deceased. The...

View more questions Search