Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    theloneranger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2012, 02:40 PM
    How can I get over my fear of opening e-mail?
    For many years, I've had a problem with reading e-mail that has built up and built up. I hate opening e-mail. It tends to be e-mail that is important, and especially one-to-one e-mail. Normal junk stuff I don't mind, but it's like I'm terrified of getting any bad news. And the problem is, a lot of the time, it is bad news, or something stressful, and almost instantly I get really wound up and start panicking, and often fling an e-mail back in a rage. I just feel that if I don't open the e-mail, I don't have to deal with the problem, and I feel okay for a while. Maybe this is just a general anxiety manifesting itself in e-mail, but are there any PRACTICAL and HELPFUL ways to get over this really crippling problem, considering that I also rely on e-mail for work as well? Thnaks in advance.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 22, 2012, 02:46 PM
    Did something trigger this, that maybe you once got a very disturbing or upsetting email from someone--about a death in the family or some such?
    theloneranger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2012, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Did something trigger this, that maybe you once got a very disturbing or upsetting email from someone--about a death in the family or some such?
    I can't pinpoint an exact moment when I started hating opening e-mail, but it's developed over a number of years, and seems to get worse and worse. Some I just never look at, mark them as read, and forget them. They've probably been very important. I've had confrontations/issues with my university for example, and some of the responses to my e-mails I've just let sit in my box, I've never been able to face reading them. It seems all I get from these kind of e-mails is bad news, and it happened again today. Took me five days to open an e-mail about a school transfer, and as usual, it was all bad news. As soon as I found out, I literally ranted for an hour. Otherwise, I'd been calm all week, even though I had this e-mail looming over my mind. It used to happen with letters, though there are still some difficult letters I've filed that I can't bear to look at. It's like, if I can't see it, it isn't real. And often, I wish it wasn't real. I've tried getting other people to read my e-mail, and that doesn't work much either, because I still have to 'hear' the news... I just don't know what's wrong. It's obviously a phobia, and it's one that is getting worse and worse. Oh by the way, I also hate answering the phone, especially if it's the same kind of people who are sending the e-mails I can't open.
    Nikki7347 Posts: 54, Reputation: 0

Jun 25, 2012, 08:18 AM
    You should go to therapy so someone could help you get over your fear. Most of the time when you open up and e-mail it is not bad news.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 25, 2012, 08:58 AM
    Either stop using email all together, or get counseling, this is a unhealthy condition

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Expand a 4' door opening to 5 1/2' opening on a loadbearing basement wall [ 2 Answers ]

I have an unfinished basement that has a load bearing wall down the center of the basemant. It supports the center of the house. It runs 36 feet and perpendiculars into another load bearing wall. The 36 foot span has two 4 foot openings with 2 2x 8" headers in each opening. Both openings occur...

Can a spouse be removed for opening the other spouses mail? [ 1 Answers ]

Mail was opened and not given to spouse

Yahoo mail is not opening [ 3 Answers ]

All other sites like Google, rediffmail, AOL etc. are opening but Yahoo mail is not opening why

Opening live mail opens live messenger. [ 1 Answers ]

This is getting kind of annoying as it lags my PC... Everyime I log into my windows live mail/hotmail it opens windows live messenger, regardless whether I want to use it or not. Any ideas? I checked the Windows Live Messenger's settings but found nothing. Btw, I use IE 8 and I'm running...

Opening e.mail attachments using outlook express [ 3 Answers ]

I am running Oulook Express with Home Windows XP I find that I am unable to open some if not all of received message attachments. A warning notice appears to tell me that they may be unsafe. Someone kindly suggested that by selecting FORWARD in the toolbar this problem is overcome. Sadly...

View more questions Search