Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    das6591 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2012, 08:47 AM
    Can shutting the main water supply off and draining the system drain water heaters
    We have a 2 story building with multiple suites and some of the suites have water heaters. We need to shut the water down and drain the system to replace a backflow. Can this cause the water heaters to drain??
    The shut off between the backflow and the building is old and we are afraid it may break if we try to shut it off.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 22, 2012, 08:56 AM
    The heaters will not drain just because you closed the supply line and drained the rest of the system. However, you should shut off the heaters fuel while doing this work, just to be cautious
    das6591 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2012, 09:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    The heaters will not drain just because you closed the supply line and drained the rest of the system. However, you should shut off the heaters fuel while doing this work, just to be cautious
    Thank you
    The water heaters are electric and I am afraid if they drain they will burn out the elements.
    This is scheduled weekend work and at the last minute the backflow guy springs this on me.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 22, 2012, 10:24 AM
    Shut off the breaker that powers the heater, just to be safe.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 22, 2012, 01:43 PM
    The water heaters can be siphoned off if you don't close the cold water shutoff going into the heaters so I recommend shutting the cold water shutoff as well as shutting offf the breakers as Ballengerb1 mentioned.

Good luck!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Clog in water supply lines after replacing section at main municipal supply... [ 1 Answers ]

I had an exposed water supply line that ran from the city inlet to my house. It was old and rusty so we decided to replace it with a PEX pvc piping. It's the same dia. (3/4") and we replace the one 90 elbow with a 45 instead. When we turned the water back on, it had no pressure, and after my...

Where is a good location for a hot water tank on the main water supply line [ 3 Answers ]

I have moved my hot water tank to a new location in the basement. The new location is closer to the main water line. The best way for me to describe it is; from the street to my house to the water meter and from the water meter I have 7ft. Of 3/4" pipe. I want to run a 1/2" pipe to my hot water...

Supply line won't stop running. Main water supply off [ 3 Answers ]

I was doing some bathroom remodeling and attempted to remove an old supply valve. It would not budge so I decided to cut the copper tubing underneath it and put on a new shutoff valve with a compression fitting. The problem is that water just kept coming out of that supply line. The main water...

Any danger or harm in shutting off water supply [ 3 Answers ]

I am going away for a few weeks in the winter and I am thinking of shutting off the water supply at home; in case the heating system fails, I don't need to worry about pipe burst. I am just wondering if that is hazardous for the water heater as it will have to keep boiling the water for the heat...

Shutting off hot water heater and main water supply [ 2 Answers ]

I recently purchased a cabin that has well water and a hot water heater that is run off the oil furnace. I shut off the well tank when I left but forgot to shut off the hot water heater. Does anyone know if I can damage the heater by having the main water shut off and leaving the water heater on?

View more questions Search