Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    superstar18 Posts: 380, Reputation: 5

Jun 21, 2012, 09:14 PM
    Job application asks for level of education question
    A job application asks for level of education, what does in progress mean. Does it mean still working on school. Right now I'm in my second year of college.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 09:18 PM
    "In progress" means the applicant is still in school working on a diploma or degree. You can add "Anticipated graduation, 2014" (or whenever you will graduate).

Jun 21, 2012, 09:23 PM
    It doesn't say I can say that so should I say some college- no degree then?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 09:26 PM
    Does it ask for a grad date?

Jun 21, 2012, 09:27 PM
    No it doesn't
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 09:28 PM
    What does it say - what does it want?

Jun 21, 2012, 09:33 PM
    It just gives me a list of what I can choose from such as in progress, high school diploma, GED, some college- no degree, associates degree, bachelors, masters,
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 09:37 PM
    Then choose "in progress", since you are in the process of getting a degree.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 09:38 PM
    I'd say "some college."

Jun 21, 2012, 09:39 PM
    Ok thanks.
    Pets Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 09:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I'd say "some college."
    I hate to disagree WG. But some college implies that the applicant started college, but didn't finish. In progress implies that they're in college, and still working on a degree.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 09:43 PM
    I hate to disagree, Alty, but "in progress" doesn't say anything. At least, "some college" indicates he's gotten that far in life and may still be attending. And it doesn't say he has left college.

The questioner can choose which one he's more comfortable with. The interviewer will ask him either way about school/college. And he'd be very smart to attach a well-written resume to the job app if it is a paper thing, or enclose in email when he sends in the job app..
    Pets Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 09:48 PM
    "In progress" means the applicant is still in school working on a diploma or degree.
    I hate to disagree, Alty, but "in progress" doesn't say anything. At least, "some college" indicates he's gotten that far in life and may still be attending.
    WG, which is it? Your first post stated exactly what I said, that "in progress" means the applicant is in school working on a degree.

Now "in progress" doesn't say anything?

I've had applications like this. Some college, to a potential employer, means that you attended college, but didn't finish.

Obviously WG and I don't agree. I'd call the employer and ask what "in progress" and "some college" means to them.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 09:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Now "in progress" doesn't say anything?
    I said it means "in school," not necessarily college (diploma or degree). He could be in high school.
    Pets Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 09:53 PM
    Just want to point out that in the OP's post, the category "some college", was actually "some college- no degree".

Again, I disagree with posting that, since the OP is in college, working on a degree.

But that's just my opinion. If it were me, I'd choose "in progress", as it does imply that you're still progressing towards a degree, and not someone that flunked out of college, which the category "some college-no degree", definitely implies.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 09:55 PM
    If it were me, I'd choose "in progress", as it does imply that you're still progressing towards a degree, and not someone that flunked out of college.
    It also implies you're in high school. Or grad school. Or 4th grade.
    Pets Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 10:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    It also implies you're in high school. Or grad school. Or 4th grade.
    It could imply that. But "some college-no degree", is far more absolute that "in progress". In progress could mean anything. Progressing to achieve a high school diploma, a college diploma, a doctorate, it shows that the OP is still working on a diploma, and is still improving himself.

But "some college-no degree", says it all. That the OP attended some college, and didn't get a degree. If the OP had attended college, flunked out, and didn't get a degree, then this is definitely the option he should choose. But it was my understanding that he is still in college, working on, progressing towards, a degree.

Sounds like "in progress" to me.

The OP can decide which option is best for him. Which category most suits him.

I need to get to bed. I think I've been pretty clear why I wrote which option I'd choose. I don't feel the need to say anything else.

Good night.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 10:07 PM
    The OP can decide which option is best for him. Which category most suits him.
    That's what I said hours ago.
    jmartin015 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2012, 10:23 PM
    Put HS grad w/2 yrs college working toward degree.
    Pets Expert

Jun 23, 2012, 09:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmartin015 View Post
    Put HS grad w/2 yrs college working toward degree.
    I didn't see that in the list of options.

it just gives me a list of what I can choose from such as in progress, high school diploma, GED, some college- no degree, associates degree, bachelors, masters,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Job application help [ 7 Answers ]

A job asks on an application please list awards and/or leadership positions held (work or school what's should I say because I was never on honor roll and I have only babysat, but I have done volunteer work.

Hi free education application in finland? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi,am OKE MATTHEW O,am from south-west area of Nigeria and I desired studying in FINLAND.How can I get help?

Possible application on a video distribution system in education [ 2 Answers ]

I am doing a report on other applications of BOCS in education area and I would appreciate any help and input. BOCS can broadcast audio/video signal (up to 3) to an entire house via coaxial cables. BOCS accepts output from a DVR, DVD player, STB, or iPod and converts the signal so it can be...

Job application [ 15 Answers ]

When the job application asks" Are you a convicted felon" what do you say?

Do You Think Education Level Is Closely Tied To Local Economies [ 1 Answers ]

http://www.azstarnet.com/public/packages/star200/techfuture.htm EXCERPT: Gonzales said it is worrisome that the Legislature would consider reducing funding for education from the university level to K-12 schools, child care programs and preschools. ``The mentality of many of our...

View more questions Search