Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Question_master Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 01:05 PM
    Foreclosure & a second mortgage
    If home is in foreclosure but sold in a short sale for less than what is owed on the first mortgage, is anything owed on the second mortgage?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2007, 01:20 PM
    Both Mortgages most likely have been recorded and liens against the property are in place.

If the First mortgage is sold for less than owed, the property will not be released, the second mortgage will have to be paid to release the property also.

I don't see how the sale would go through, no release of lien would be able to happen.
    Mortgage Advisor Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Feb 28, 2007, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Question_master
    If home is in foreclosure but sold in a short sale for less than what is owed on the first mortgage, is anything owed on the second mortgage?
    Yes... whoever purchased the home now takes on the obligation and liabilities of any and all liens on title.. If there is a 2nd mortgage, there is a lien on title, and the new owner of the property now owes that debt...

If the sale didn't pay all of the first mortgage either, then you also will owe the money that is left over...

Technically, you won't owe the mney on your credit report, but you will have the liens against the prop[erty..

Meaning, if you try to refinance, you have to pay any liens..

If you try to sell the property, the liens will have to be paid...
    Question_master Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 01:38 PM
    Let me make this more interesting... The house was sold over 4 years ago. The people I sold it to ended up having the house actually foreclosed on a few months ago. The paperwork I have from the sale says "cancellation and release" from both mortgages, and the court documents filed for the recent foreclosure mention my and the same statement. (No, I'm not involved in the foreclosure. I already confirmed that with the courts. My title company sucked, and didn't file half the paperwork.) HUD, who the 2nd mortgage was through, just now contacted me about repayment. (The 2nd mortgage was taken out over 5 years ago.) The house is now bank owned and for sale again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreclosure [ 2 Answers ]

One of our properties is in process of foreclosure. The bank locked up the property. Do we still have obligation of paying property tax? The worst of all, we have a second mortgage. How sholud we deal with these entities? Thank you

Rent & mortgage [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, New to the list & here comes my 1st question. I pay mortgage for my current home in North Carolina. Due to a job change, I moved to New Jersey and am living a rental life. By any chance can I deduct my rent also in my taxes. Thanks 4 your thoughts.

Foreclosure [ 7 Answers ]

At the age of 18 my parents told me to sign for a trailer for my sister. I understood that she was first, then my step dad and then Me. So I was the co-cosigner. At that age I didn't know what I was doing. Now, 10 years later I found out that I am to co signer, and the bank is after me for the...

Foreclosure [ 5 Answers ]

Almost two years ago our bank foreclosed on our farm. It all started when my parents signed for a loan, believing it was five years. At the signing, my mother noticed it stated one year instead of five. She asked the loan officer, who they have known for years, why that was on there. She said that...

Foreclosure - Please Help [ 1 Answers ]

Today (2/3/06) I was visited by the Sheriff's Department who presented me with foreclosure papers in the form of a Summons with a Complaint on Note and to Forclose Mortgage on Real Estate. Here's some facts about this. 1. The mortgage is under my name and my ex-spouses name. We were divorced...

View more questions Search