Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yoanja Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 12:45 PM
    False negative on day 10 past expected period date ?
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me.
    I'm 31yrs and my husband and I are trying to have a baby.
    I am 10days overdue on my period and have taken 3 home pregnancy tests but all have turned up negative. However, on 2 of them after a few hours, they've showed a faint line where the positive should be.
    Could it be that the hcg level is very low ?
    When is the latest a home pregnancy test should show up positive ?
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Feb 28, 2007, 12:51 PM
    A pregnancy test can only be read for around 10 minutes after being taken. After this a false positive line may show up, it is called an evaporation line, and is not a positive.
    Littleport7 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 12:53 PM
    They usually say that after 10 minutes, tests are not valid... but who knows?
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Each test will tell you in the instructions a waiting limit, and how long after not to trust the reading. As above posted, usually its 10 minutes. But each test varies
    ranna Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Feb 28, 2007, 08:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by yoanja
    hi, i was wondering if anyone could help me.
    i'm 31yrs and my husband and i are trying to have a baby.
    i am 10days overdue on my period and have taken 3 home pregnancy tests but all have turned up negative. however, on 2 of them after a few hours, they've showed a faint line where the positive should be.
    could it be that the hcg level is very low ?
    when is the latest a home preg test should show up positive ?
    I'm in the same boat. But lots of people told me its to early to detect in most cases.. you don't read a HPT after 10 minutes.. you need a blood test
    ghost56 Posts: 283, Reputation: 26

Mar 3, 2007, 07:19 AM
    A pregnancy test is invalid if read after the specified time, as the chemicals start to dry out, giving a false result. Ask your doctor to take a prenancy blood test. Good luck. Here is some ******baby dust****** for luck, hope it works.
    yoanja Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2007, 07:47 AM
    Thank you for your replies and the well wishes
    ghost56 Posts: 283, Reputation: 26

Mar 4, 2007, 08:50 AM
    I will keep everything crossed for you. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

False Negative blood and urine pregnancy tests? [ 3 Answers ]

I am 29 been trying to get pregnant for months... My last period is now almost 10wks ago.(70days) I have been to the doctor several times and several tests have been done... All pregnancy tests come back negative... my progesterone was also low, so doctor said I probably never ovulated... Why? ...

Would an ectopic pregnancy cause a false negative? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I don't really know much about Ectopic Pregnancies... However I was treated for Chlamydia about 3 years ago(very long story). Anyhow, I haven't had my period since the 9th of November and have had unprotected sex with my hubby all month. He isn't aware that I have ever been treated for...

False Date on document [ 4 Answers ]

Over 2 weeks ago a incident occurred at my University. Sum up what happened, I was in rez, getting my friend to take some pictures of me in my suit before I went to the winter dance, I was leaning up against the wall, when the wall basically caved in on me. (If anyone knows about Universities...

F-1 to H-1, what's the start date of H-1? Should be approval date or visa issue day? [ 3 Answers ]

As I mention before, I changed from F-1 to H-1 last year. I got my H-1 status in Feb 2004, but I went to my home country to get the H-1 visa stamp in August 2004. So I would like to know for counting my H-1 status, is it the date that USCIS (the Immigration) approved (which is Feb 1st), or the...

View more questions Search