Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KVNC75 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 12:44 PM
    Yard Machines 2800m string trimmer
    I have a brand new trimmer and when I get it started it will only run on half choke.When I put it on 3 which is the full run setting,it just dies out when I pull the gas lever.I have fresh gas and oil mix that is properly mixed.It will run fine on half choke but when I set it to full run it dies out and this is even after it has warmed up.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 28, 2007, 01:00 PM
    Don't try to fix brand new items. Return to the store even if the instructions tell you not to do so. It is not up to you to fix something that isn't broken, it is defective.

Feb 28, 2007, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KVNC75
    I have a brand new trimmer and when i get it started it will only run on half choke.When i put it on 3 which is the full run setting,it just dies out when i pull the gas lever.I have fresh gas and oil mix that is properly mixed.It will run fine on half choke but when i set it to full run it dies out and this is even after it has warmed up.
    Well I bought it online and it would be a pain to try and send it back,that's why I was looking for advice.

Feb 28, 2007, 01:13 PM
    Try contacting the online people about a replacement. My point is that it isn't broken, it is defective. That means you won't fix it. Half choke running means it is starving for fuel and a new machine should not do that. There is something wrong inside the carb. I have repaired several carbs on trimmers and they are a royal pain. Repair shops charge $75+ to repair these carbs because they are so small and difficult to work on, usually requiring replacement parts.
    Please rate my answer so I'll know if I helped. Good luck.
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Feb 28, 2007, 05:05 PM
    I can tell you what will happen, you may return a product in most casses if it is a warranty issue. The defination of warranty is defect in craftsmanship or workmanship. It is definatley a fuel starve issue and won't fall under either of these categories. Some places will satisfy the customer in hopes of return business but online the costs are great to do policy adjustments. Likley you will spend the shipping money and time to find out they won't repair or replace then you will have to pay to get it returned.

I would guess that when you say brand new you mean very few hours? And you have had it through the winter? If so and you want to try and solve the problem check the filter in the tank, even just replace it, anything will do just has to slide on hose. Also a couple of good clean fuel tanks through might do it.

In the end I hope you can get a new one but I wouldn't hold my breath and technicaly it is not the manufacturers fault.

Good Luck,
    Don

Feb 28, 2007, 07:34 PM
    I am not in agreement with Newaukumdon on one point. If the product is "brand new" and is fuel starved, does not run, there is a defect in craftmanship, workmanship and also inspection. It is the responsibility of the manufacturer to deliver a viable product. If you start messing with the product and replacing parts you will lessen your chances of satisfaction in this situation. You should not have to fix or replace anything that does not work "brand new."

Feb 28, 2007, 08:39 PM
    Agreed, If it is brand new and never been tried before he SHOULD get a new one, I am cloudy on one point and that is "brand new". 20 years in the service industry and my own experience are that a piece of equipment that I buy less than 18 months old is still brand new. I have tools I purchased 5 years ago and refer to them as new.

I guess I have been behind the counter to long and get a little suspect of a "brand new" trimmer with a fuel delivery problem, but then again maybe I am assuming too much.

Regards,

Feb 28, 2007, 09:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by newaukumdon
    Agreed, If it is brand new and never been tried before he SHOULD get a new one, I am cloudy on one point and that is "brand new". 20 years in the service industry and my own experience are that a piece of equipment that I buy less than 18 months old is still brand new. I have tools I purchased 5 years ago and refer to them as new.

I guess I have been behind the counter to long and get a little suspect of a "brand new" trimmer with a fuel delivery problem, but then again maybe I am assuming to much.

Regards,
    Yes it is brand new,I ordered it fom Amazon and this was the first time I used it.Thanks for all you help,I think I'm just going to run a couple tanks through it on full throttle because that the only way it will run on 3.And I hope maybe that will break it in.

Feb 28, 2007, 09:45 PM
    Whoops, There may be a screw to richen the carb behind a plug on the side of the carb. It will be marked Hi, in the old days when we could adjust our own carbs these were easy to get to now they hide them so you cannot adjust. If you find it make a 1/4 turn counter clock wise. No ofense meant I just have heard all definations of brand new and always assume that means relatively new unless it never started. The units are usually test ran at the factory and if this was in the pipeline along time could have gummed up.

Mar 1, 2007, 08:49 AM
    Newaukumdon, I understand and agree that new means many things. When I answer posts I try to take people verbatum and not second guess. However, I know what you mean. I have had very bad luck with small gas machines. Out of the last 10 I bought 5 did not perform correctly or at all straigh from the box. I take them straight back and make the vendor and the manufacturer accountible. They really aren't in the business of sending out bad product. They will look for ways to fix their internal procedures when they have been told of a problem. I just took delivery of a $400 semi-custom shower door from Home Depot. The manufacturer happens to be local. Entire hardware package was missing. I called Euroview and they said it has never happened but now that it has they will find where they went wrong. What more could I ask? Have a good one.

Mar 1, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Whoops, There may be a screw to richen the carb behind a plug on the side of the carb. It will be marked Hi, in the old days when we could adjust our own carbs these were easy to get to now they hide them so you cannot adjust. If you find it make a 1/4 turn counter clock wise. No ofense meant I just have heard all definations of brand new and always assume that means relatively new unless it never started. The units are usualy test ran at the factory and if this was in the pipeline along time could have gummed up.
    Would that be the same screw as the carb adjustment screw located in the back?Also,is it flooding or is it starving for gas?When I run it on half choke and then switch it to no choke it dies out unless I have really gunned it on half choke and then switch to no choke and hold it full throttle.Other than that it will not idle at all on 3.

Mar 1, 2007, 09:42 AM
    It is starved. Keep in mind that when you start fixing something that is defective you will void your warranty. They sold you a product that doesn't work, period. If you work on it they have no further responsibility to replace it.

Mar 1, 2007, 10:37 AM
    Different experiences with the term "brand new" what does brand new car mean? 10,000 miles?

With a fuel delivery problem and more than likley fuel gummed carb, the assumtion on my part based on selling 8,000 trimmers over the last 25 years was wrong.

It is highly unlikley that a "brand new" machine would have bad fuel and even less likley a bad carburetor. Sometimes experience is a handicap and makes us jump to conclusions.

I have had a jillion customers come in and say "I just bought this it is still brand new and it doesn't run correctly" you just get used to finding out brand new means within the year.

On this forum reading between the lines is probably not a good idea, in the shelter of the service area I am allways right. (no one to tell me otherwise)

I stand corrected

PS. Buy your equipment elswhere. 50% failure? WOW!

Mar 1, 2007, 10:43 AM
    I didn't see he earlier post, I realize that the you do not want to send it back. I think you should contact Amazon and find out who the service center is. They should with a copy of your receipt make the repair for you. However not being the place that sold it to you it may not be priority. I get the impression sending it back is not an avenue you wish to go so if all else fails post a picture detailing the carb and I will walk you through adjustments.

PM me and I can give you my # to help.

DON

Mar 1, 2007, 10:48 AM
    Different experiences with the term "brand new" what does brand new car mean? 10,000 miles?

With a fuel delivery problem and more than likley fuel gummed carb, the assumtion on my part based on selling 8,000 trimmers over the last 25 years was wrong.

It is highly unlikley that a "brand new" machine would have bad fuel and even less likley a bad carburetor. Sometimes experience is a handicap and makes us jump to conclusions.

I have had a jillion customers come in and say "I just bought this it is still brand new and it doesn't run correctly" you just get used to finding out brand new means within the year.

On this forum reading between the lines is probably not a good idea, in the shelter of the service area I am allways right. (no one to tell me otherwise)

I stand corrected

PS. buy your equipment elswhere. 50% failure? WOW!
    Brand new to me means new from manufacturer in the box.So when I got it out of the box and started it the first time it was brand new.Apparently though it was tested at the factory because I smelt fuel when I opened it to put gas in,but the tank was dry.Anyway,the trimmer was just removed from box by me 3 days ago in which upon the first time starting it I had this problem.It was BRAND NEW out of the box.

I'm wondering if it maybe just needs to be "BROKE IN"?Or maybe something simple like carb adjustment screw.I did look at the manual and they say if it won't idle then check plug,air filter,and finally carb adjustment.Well since it is brand new I don't think it would be the filter or plug,so that only leaves the adjustment screw.

Mar 1, 2007, 04:26 PM
    I think that at times a couple tanks of fresh will wash the system (doesn't work often) but more importantly different elevations will affect the air fuel mixture. That is why they have adjustments, but you need to be careful they are a little sensitive.

I will, from now on take brand new to mean brand new. (Online only!) I am still right all the time in my store.

Humbled,
    Don

Mar 28, 2007, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KVNC75
    I have a brand new trimmer and when i get it started it will only run on half choke.When i put it on 3 which is the full run setting,it just dies out when i pull the gas lever.I have fresh gas and oil mix that is properly mixed.It will run fine on half choke but when i set it to full run it dies out and this is even after it has warmed up.
    Well guys thanks for all the help.I just got the trimmer back from warranty repair from my local shop.All they did was replace a section a gas line that supposedly had a hole in it.The invoice said 32.50! Anyway I didn't have to pay for it.It actually runs now but sometimes it still hesitates when you apply the throttle.I guess I'm happy that it finally runs.In the process of waiting for it to be fixed I purchased an fl20 weed eater brand refurbished and it has worked great.Thnks for the help!

Mar 28, 2007, 04:54 PM
    A hole in the fuel line? I have heard it all now. Just kidding. Anyway it is good to have it repaired and running.

Don

Mar 28, 2007, 07:47 PM
    A hole in the fuel line?? I have heard it all now. Just kidding. Anyway it is good to have it repaired and running.

Don
    Lol,that's what I thought,but I guess it kind of make sense since it was sucking air apparently.It did have a "coupler" on the fuel line.With a new 3" piece of fuel line.Hell,I'm thinking of becoming a small engine mechanic myself so I can charge 32.00 for 2 minutes worth of work!Any ideas?

Mar 28, 2007, 09:47 PM
    Hesitation on throttle could be remedied by a slight counter clockwise turn on the "l" screw.

After you may have to bump the idle.
    Don

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Winding string trimmer [ 5 Answers ]

How to wind the string trimmer on my bump-advance string trimmer? The trimmer string is always jamming. I wind it tightly, I wind it loosely, I spray silicone on the string but still it jams. Should I change string size? Could the cut-off blade be the problem? I have seen professionals without...

Yard Machines Electrical Arcing question for the pros [ 4 Answers ]

I have 3 MTD Yard Machines That do not run properly. They are all from about 1997-2000. I bought one new, inherited one from my inlaws, and one from my father's neighbor. They all act like lemons and they all have similar issues, so I will Ask About mine first as I know the most. Tractor: MTD...

String Trimmer [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a Troy Bilt string trimmer that came with dual (fused twin .105) string cord. No one stocks dual fused cord, even the place I bought it which was Lowe's, Also very few even have .105 single cord. Where can I get some?

My string trimmer [ 1 Answers ]

How do I put new string on my trimmer

String trimmer [ 3 Answers ]

How do I remove the cover to replace the string on a Weed Eater Featherlite? I just can't seem to figure it out. Thanks.

View more questions Search