Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adriatica02 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2012, 08:56 AM
    Fractured inheritance
    In 1973 my mother and her new husband did a property division.(inheritance) They gave me an apartment.
    They did it in a form of sale ($5000) I never paid a penny. The stipulation was that I would never sell it until the last of them died. He died in 2010 and I sold it in 2012. I believe the way it was done it makes it fully taxable to me. Maybe had I inherited the right way I might not had to pay the taxes.
    I also gave them power of attorney in case they had to sell if they needed to.
    I guess my question is, is this fully taxable?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 09:03 AM
    Did you live in the apartment for at least three of the last five years as your PRIMARY home? If so, then the sale is TOTALLY tax-exempt.

Otherwise, the basis is what your parents paid for the apartment.
    adriatica02 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2012, 11:51 AM
    By the way I forgot to tell you that this apt. is located in Italy and the proceeds from the sale are still there.
    I lived in it for 2-3 weeks a year when I visited. Every year or other year.
    As fot the basis,do I just research what it cost when it was built? Estimate? They did the building.
    Thank you
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 12:01 PM
    Okay, then the apartment does NOT qualify for the tax exemption.

Contact the executor of the estate; he MAY know what your parents paid for the building and what the apartment itself may have been worth when they bought the building.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fractured rib [ 5 Answers ]

If you crack a rib, how much pain are you in? Is it an annoying pain that won't go away or is it a breath stopping excruciating pain that sends you to the hospital? Not talking about a compound fracture or a total break, just a crack or a serious bone bruise

How do you know when you fractured your shin? [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday I was playing softball in the field of dreams got a hit straight to the shin... owwww and now it really hurts I see a bruise but when I touchn it or hop it hurts really bad is it fractured

Fractured hand? [ 4 Answers ]

About two days ago I fractured my hand.Today it is swollen 2x the size of when I fractured it.What can I do to help the swelling?

Fractured Back [ 3 Answers ]

Hey it's me, About 2 years ago, I fractured my back. Ever since then, I haven't been able to do any tricks, not even a cartwheel. I've been trying to work on my flips and stuff, but my back just won't bend right. I've been working on stretching it out, but when I try to do the flip, my back just...

View more questions Search