Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JKG Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 12:04 PM
    401k Vesting
    Been with employer 12 years but employer changes 401k plans every 5 or 6 years and sets vesting schedule at 10 years. At the start of each new plan all employees are set at 0% invested, therefore no one has ever been vested. We got a new plan again last year so I'm not vested at all, again. Is this legal what can be done? :mad:
    jonkahler Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2007, 04:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JKG
    Been with employer 12 years but employer changes 401k plans every 5 or 6 years and sets vesting schedule at 10 years. At the start of each new plan all employees are set at 0% invested, therefore no one has ever been vested. We got a new plan again last year so I'm not vested at all, again. Is this legal what can be done? :mad:
    This is not legal. If they are terminating one plan and starting another everyone covered by the plan would be immediately 100% vested when the plan terminates. If they are simply amending the plan, the same vesting would apply. You can't "un-vest" anyone with a current benefit. The maximum vesting schedule allowable is 6 years. Contact the department of labor and ask them to take action
    JKG Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 10:15 AM
    Thanks for the info. We'll be contacting the dept of labor.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 23, 2007, 10:57 AM
    You don't contact the Department of Labor, you contact the IRS. Since a 401K is a tax deferred plan it comes under their purview. I agree with what Jon said. It appears to be illegal. When a plan is terminated, all participants become fully vested immediately.

Do some research on ERISA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k [ 2 Answers ]

1. Can I use rental income to contribute to my Solo 401k? 2. If I pay myself a salary to manage my rental properties, Can some of that salary be contributed to my Solo 401k? 3. What’s the 402(g) limit for 2006? 4. Can 2006 contributions be made up to April 15, 2007.

401k [ 2 Answers ]

I WAS JUST WONDERING ABOUT HOW $ MONEY IS TAKEN OUT, WHEN YOU TAKE OUT ALL THE MONEY?:D I NEED TO CLOSE IT BECAUSE NO MORE MONEY IS BEING INVESTED IN TO IT.:eek: I GOT IT BECUASE THE COPANY I USE TO WORK FOR OFFERED IT TO ME BUT I DO NOT WANT IT ANY MORE. HOW DO I KNOW HOW MUCH WILL BE GONE?

401k [ 3 Answers ]

I was listening to a Suzi Orman program where she is now saying, unless the employer offers a 40lK company match, do not contribute to a 40lK. The reason? The tax rates today are much less then they were 10,15,20 years ago. My company does not match, however I contribute 15% of my salary. I...

401k [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was laid of from his job due to downsizing last April. He had been with the company for a little over 4.5 years. We recently received notification that the company had taken back their matched contributions to his 401K leaving only his contributions. Is this legal? Is there any...

View more questions Search