Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vishkid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2004, 06:18 AM
    Compaq Evo D510 e-pc BIOS
    My friends Evo D510 failed to boot with a classic mup.sys file corrupt error and since he couldn't get the repair cd working (CD-ROM error) he got the HDD out and tried replacing mup.sys in another PC.

The real problem occurred when he tried to replace the HDD and re-boot. The system hanged even before the monitor switched on and after a short alert sound six beeps were emitted. Tried re-slotting RAM removing USB devices etc. but nothing works. It's only beeps - power light comes on and after the beeps CD tray pops out.

I've consulted the manuals and found that six beeps stand for BIOS corrupt. But could it really be the case? Would clearing CMOS work or is there another procedure? Me and my friend have never reflashed BIOS in a non - working computer and Compaq website is unclear about it too.

What's the best way to go about it? Thanks in advance for reading and replying.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2004, 06:46 AM
    Bios
    Hi,
    Do you know the version of the BIOS that was on the computer?
    If so, go to the Compaq site, and you can possibly download the same version.
    If you don't know the version, then it's really a chance that you will download the correct one; even an upgrade.
    I suggest taking it to a local computer repair/sales store; let them fix it.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Dec 20, 2004, 08:33 AM
    Just one good general advice: do not flash a BIOS that is not properly running. The flashing will most probably fail, and ruin the MB.
    Specifically, for your problem: your problem began when installing a new hard drive. It is almost impossible to damage a BIOS that way. So you should not really think of flashing the BIOS anyway.
    Try zeroing the BIOS settings instead. (there should be a jumper on the MB for this). After that, you will have to do the BIOS setup of course. The procedure is in your manual.
    While the 'puter is open, check if all cables are well seated.
    And, what often happens when one replaces a hard drive, is that he ends up with conflicts in the drives' master/slave jumpering. Check that too:
    IDE 0 Master: Boot disk (harddrive C)
    IDE 0 Slave: spare for additional device (DVD drive, harddisk, CD drive)
    IDE 1 Master: spare for additional device (if you have a CD burner, put it here)
    IDE 1 Slave: spare for additional drive (extra harddisk, CD drive)
    Second rule: you must NOT have only a Slave drive on an IDE interface.
    Plugging sequence: IDE 0 master, IDE 1 master, IDE 0 slave, IDE 1 slave.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compaq Presario [ 3 Answers ]

Compact Presairo computer does not want to accept NEC Multi Sync LCD1530V flatscreen . Tells me Video Input is Out of Range. H: 53.7 kHz V 95.1 Hz. The unfortunate part is that it runs Windows ME... yes I know sad isn't it... but it was given to me for free, so I can't complain. Any idea's on how...

Compaq N400c [ 16 Answers ]

Have asked about this problem before and had computer fixed at shop however the problem has re occurred. I cannoy get into the operating system it flashed up a warning message feom windows then it shut down.Since restarting all I keep getting is the Compaq screen then a black screen with white...

Compaq n400c need help [ 10 Answers ]

:confused: purchased the compaq N400c laptop a couple of days ago (second hand) and has been working fine until today. I cannot access windows at all. Does anyone out there know about this model. Have checked the guide book for troubleshooting but lists nothing like the problem that I am having....

HP Evo d510 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi please help I have an hp evo d510. When I power on the desktop the led indicator is just blinking... my PC doesn't start up... any idea?

Need help with Compaq 5204 BIOS firmware [ 4 Answers ]

I have an old 5204 that I installed linux on. Now I want to reformat it, put the orig Win98 (have CD) back on it and sell it. However, I can't get it to boot from CD. The BIOS menus doesn't have a boot sequence option (F10). Even though doco on HP site indicates that this should be an option...

View more questions Search