Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2193steven Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 11:08 AM
    Really stressed with monitor
    Hi eveyone, thanks for reading,
    Last week I turned the computer on, it got to the welcome screen and I couldn't move the mouse cursor to select my icon, so (probly really stupidly) I just unpluged the computer at the wall, thinking that if I restart it the mouse will work, when I turned the computer back on, the LEDs on the front came on, and the fan was running, but it didn't beep atall and the monitor didn't come out of sleep mode, and just displayed the message 'no signal'. What have I don? Can it be fixed without opening the comp up?

Also I don't want to open the comp up cause it still has the warranty tag on, which stops me from opening it up, I don't want to take it off, in case its still in warranty, but I know.

Im really stressed, I'm 16, in the middle of my GCSE's, and all my coursework is on the computer, including a piece that has to be in by next week, otherwise I lose 50% of my grade, also my mum doesn't know yet, when she finds out she's going to kill me! HELP!

P.S I have checked all the cables, and held the on button for 30 secs to drain power, but still no signal
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 28, 2007, 11:10 AM
    Check the connections to the monitor. Try using a different monitor and see what happens.

Feb 28, 2007, 11:14 AM
    Checked the cables still not working, I haven't got a different monitor

Feb 28, 2007, 11:47 AM
    What are you using to get in here?

Feb 28, 2007, 11:52 AM
    I'm using my laptop, my 600e IBM Thinkpad which I've dug out of the closet and using a dail up connection, seen as the broad band won't work

Feb 28, 2007, 12:15 PM
    Try connecting the monitor as an external monitor on the laptop. See if it works OK. If it does, then the problem may be your video adapter.

Feb 28, 2007, 12:21 PM
    How do I do that?
    My monitor and comp are connected, using a cable going from the monitor, to the comp. and I don't have a cable to connect my laptop
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Feb 28, 2007, 01:30 PM
    Your laptop should have a vga connector on the back yes? Does your monitor have a VGA input? Connect the VGA cable from the monitor to the laptop. This will determine if the monitor is working fine.

Feb 28, 2007, 02:04 PM
    Most laptops have an external monitor jack. Just unplufg the monitor cable from the computer and connect to that jack.

Feb 28, 2007, 02:20 PM
    Yeah your right, I pluged my laptop in an it came up on the monitor, so there can't be anything wrong with the monitor then... right?

Feb 28, 2007, 08:28 PM
    OK, os the most likely is the video adapter. Now the question is whether your adapter is on the motherboard or not. If the VGA jack is in one of the slots, then its not. If you know someone who can loan you a video card you can test it out.

Mar 1, 2007, 11:14 AM
    I don't have anyone I can loan a video card off

Mar 1, 2007, 01:10 PM
    OK I've decide to open it up seen as the warranty is out on it anyway, what should I be looking to do? And what should I definitely not touch if I don't want to break my computer?

Mar 1, 2007, 02:52 PM
    It's a 'EM-170 LCD MONITOR TFT' don't know if that helps, by the way I think the monitor works cause it worked with my laptop, so do you think a novice would be capable of changing a graphics card, also would I be able to use the graphics card from my laptop?
    Esuming it's the video card that's the problem ofcorse

Mar 1, 2007, 06:17 PM
    No, there is no separate card in the laptop. Changing a video card is not too hard.

Mar 2, 2007, 11:54 AM
    I reseated the grx card, still nothing, I'm getting a cheap one tomorrow morining, is there anything I can do in the mean time?

Mar 2, 2007, 12:08 PM
    If the current video is on board, you may need to disable it. This is done in the CMOS setup.

Mar 2, 2007, 12:58 PM
    How do I know if its 'on board' or not? Also I read that it might be a good idea to clear the CMOS what effects will this have?

Mar 2, 2007, 01:50 PM
    I mentioned earlier to look where you plug in the monitor. If the jack is in one for the slots, then it's a separate card. If its among the pother ports, its onboard.

Who told it was a good idea to clear the CMOS? Definitely not something you want to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor colors faded (Monitor color problem) [ 5 Answers ]

I have an envision flat screen monitor and the issue is I had a worm on my computer so I had to reboot it.When the startup came up the colors were faded in a blueish light hue . I updated the drives but still nothing worked. I don't know if it's the monitor or vga cable or just the video card in...

I'm so stressed out anyone that can help please do I could use it [ 11 Answers ]

Okay so the past school year I have been sooo stressed out me and my mom have been fighting a lot and like right now we are not talking. I have been missing my dad a lot lately. My boyfriend says some stuff that stresses me out and I'm always freaking out that he is leaving me and it kills me...

Constantly stressed! [ 1 Answers ]

Okay well here's the deal, I don't know what's wrong with me. That's bad. I'm cnstantly stressed. Even my girlfriend through the phone tells me it seems something's wrong with me. I always have a feeling something's bad going to happen. Advice?

Stressed [ 6 Answers ]

OK so basiclly I'm pretty stressed right now I'm going into high school witch I'm kind of nerviose about And I really like my best guy friend but I'm not sure what to do he tells me that he loves me to and misses being with me but then he says he doesn't want a girlfriend So what should I do

Pregnant or Stressed? [ 1 Answers ]

I've been doing a lot of searching on the net for information on this kind of stuff and it's very confusing, so I figured I'd ask experts: people who may be moms themselves. The story: I'm not too proud of it, but when I moved back to school this year I got drunk and had sex with a good...

View more questions Search