Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Otis56 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2012, 11:34 AM
    Toilet tank is leaking, no water on floor, runs periodically to fill tank, what fix
    The tank is losing water, there is none on the floor, the toilet runs periodically to refill the tank, I have replaced the flapper, the float device already.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2012, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis56 View Post
    The tank is loosing water, there is none on the floor, the toilet runs periodically to refill the tank, I have replaced the flapper, the float device already.
    Put food coloring in the tank and look to see what the bowl looks like in a few hours...

Jun 20, 2012, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Put food coloring in the tank and look to see what the bowl looks like in a few hours....
    Just did this at 2:44pm, will follow, I'm thinking it's the overflow tube that may be cracked. The last time I had this issue with a similar toilet I replaced the overflow tube but could never get the tank to seat without leaking and ended up cracking the tank, ending with a new toilet. I'd rather fix this one without the same thing happening again. Thanks
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2012, 11:56 AM
    Sometimes the surface the flapper seals on erodes or gets damaged and a new flapper won't seal... trying to determin its not leaking past that first. Before you put the food coloring in... wipe the sealing surface with a rag and make sure a piece of crud isn't lodged preventing the flapper from sealing.

Jun 20, 2012, 02:07 PM
    After 2hrs and 15mins there is a very slight trace of the dye in the very bottom of the bowl.

Jun 20, 2012, 04:10 PM
    No change in amount of dye in the bowl, still very very slight trace only. This is after 4 hours with the dye in the tank
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 04:16 PM
    Sometimes it's a bad flapper but sometimes its actually the flush valve the flapper closed againist. Fell the top lip for nicks, gouges or bumps . If its really bad just replace the whole flush valve, they come with a new, matching flapper

Jun 20, 2012, 05:45 PM
    The last time I had this issue with a similar toilet I replaced the overflow tube but could never get the tank to seat without leaking and ended up cracking the tank, ending with a new toilet. I'd rather fix this one without the same thing happening again. What could have gone wrong on the one that I broke, it kept leaking between the tank and toilet.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 04:47 AM
    Has toilet been coming on intermittently during this time?

Jun 21, 2012, 05:38 AM
    Yes, apparently water in the tank is leaking through the overflow pipe, thus the float device detects the low water in the tank and then runs to bring the water level back up. This goes on all day/night.
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2012, 05:45 AM
    Then you adjust the float... because the water should be lower than the top of that tube.

Jun 21, 2012, 06:16 AM
    The water level is below the level of the top of the overflow tube, but water level continues to drop in the tank thus the off and on running of the water to bring up the level in the tank.

Jun 21, 2012, 10:16 AM
    Fixed it, this did the trick http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...ce1aa2_145.jpg

Took 15 minutes. Nothing to take apart, whew, some relief felt on this one.

Thanks folks
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2012, 10:39 AM
    So the seat wasn't smooth and clean after all... as that is a kit to repair a damaged seat

Jun 21, 2012, 01:34 PM
    I wiped it out and ran a finger around it (the seat) felt smooth, don't know, but the kit fixed it up just fine. No more running.
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2012, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis56 View Post
    I wiped it out and ran a finger around it (the seat) felt smooth, dunno, but the kit fixed it up just fine. No more running.
    That's what really matters most anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet tank will not fill with water [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, When flushing the toilet, the bowl is full with water but the tanks is empty. When releasing the lever to flush the toilet neither the water in the bowl is released or does the tank fill with water, can you please advise what is causing this and how I can fix this trouble bymyself. ...

Emptied tank and cleaned toilet. Now tank runs off and on [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I never had a problem and now after I cleaned my toilet and removed the water, I turned water valve back on and every time I turn a faucet on in another part of the house the darn toilet tank runs! PLease any ideas?

Toilet Tank will not fill with water... [ 2 Answers ]

I flush the toilet and have to hold the handle down until all the water flushes and then after I let the flap down, the tank will not fill up unless I twist the tower a little bit and water gushes out of the top of it... anyone know how to fix it?

Water won't fill up in toilet tank [ 3 Answers ]

The water wasn't filling up all the way in the bowl. Only 1/2 way. So I went to Lowe's & replaced float & refill valve/line. It was too short in the beginning & water was just filling up 1/2 again in bowl. I've read the instruc. Again & it said that I need to make it taller so I've done this &...

Toilet Tank will not fill with water [ 3 Answers ]

My toilet tank does not fill back up with water after I flush it. I turned off the valve, disconnected the hose, and turned the valve back on to see if there might be a clog, but there was none. Also, there is a trickling dripping noise coming from inside the tank, but there is now water leaking...

View more questions Search