Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    permaspin Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2012, 03:32 PM
    I considered throwing the old coil back on and replacing the rotor and cap and seeing what the deal is, but, I figure I'd rather replace both.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2012, 05:03 PM
    After installing the new coil, your ignition system should be in great shape.

Did you apply a thin, even coat of silicone heat transfer compound to the back of the ICM? It goes between the ICM and the heat sink.

Jun 21, 2012, 05:26 PM
    Yes I did.
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2012, 05:34 PM
    Good.

Jun 22, 2012, 02:19 PM
    Everything is installed, and the car fires right up and idles good. I went for a short drive problem free.. Tomorrow morning I'm taking it to a cottage.. About 60 miles away.. That will be the true test. Ill report back! Thanks for the help thus far
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2012, 02:38 PM
    Good job!

It should be in great shape, now, with all that you've done. You saved yourself quite a bit of money.

Jun 25, 2012, 04:12 AM
    I've put on 200 miles so far... 0 problems.. The car has never ran this good since I've owned it, I wish there was so way I could repay you for your time
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2012, 05:18 AM
    Very good job. I'm not surprised it worked flawlessly--I could tell you were competent.

Jul 18, 2012, 05:32 AM
    I drove problem free for 2 weeks straight, the car ran perfect. 2 days ago on my way to work, after about 45 minutes of driving I saw the engine light come on.. I drove for a few miles until I came to a stop light, shut the car off and restarted it and attempted to accelerate, and there was 0 power... I couldn't even move the car.. I pushed it to the shoulder. The car would fire right up but wouldn't idle.. I'm assuming either the coil or the ICM failed?
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2012, 06:03 AM
    Check for codes. If no codes were thrown, I'd replace the ICM under warranty. It's less likely, but still possible, the coil failed. I just haven't seen them fail that quickly. What brand were the parts?

Another possibility is that one of the internal sensors failed (CKP, CYL, or TDC) inside the distributor. They are unserviceable. In this case, install your ICM and coil in a new genuine Honda distributor housing.

Jul 18, 2012, 06:07 AM
    There were no codes... I checked the fuel pressure too.. Its bang on.. The coil and ICM were both blue streak igniton parts.. They weren't cheap.. Is there anything else inside the distriubutor that could be failing
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2012, 06:14 AM
    How many miles are on the current distributor housing? Honda distributors tend to last 50,000 to 95,000 miles. Grease in the sealed bearing wears out, sensor gaps change, and the car dies.

Jul 18, 2012, 06:18 AM
    125 000 miles
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2012, 06:21 AM
    I haven't seen a Civic distributor housing last that long. Therefore, I assume that's the problem. Remove the cap and look for orange dust.

Jul 18, 2012, 06:25 AM
    I see complete distriubtors on eBay for $90.. Aftermarket of course.. What about these products make them so un reliable and prone to failing?
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2012, 06:26 AM
    Total junk! You put your life on the line with anything but a genuine Honda distributor housing. Half of all aftermarket distributors for Hondas don't work out of the box--the remaining ones are unreliable and often fail several months later. It's a constant problem on this site. Aftermarket manufacturers can't get the internal sensors to work properly. You can buy a genuine Honda distributor housing from CollegeHillsHonda.com for 20 to 25% off. I love those guys.

Jul 18, 2012, 06:29 AM
    I called honda and they want $967 canadian for a new distributor.
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2012, 06:35 AM
    That is likely for a complete distributor, including ICM, coil, rotor, and cap. Check CollegeHillsHonda.com. They likely ship to Canada.
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2012, 06:40 AM
    $323.82 @CollegeHillsHonda.com.
    Product ID : 30105-PM5-A05
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2012, 07:09 AM
    Make sure the CEL comes on for 2 seconds and then goes out, when the ignition switch is turned to ON (Position II). If it does, then focus on the distributor. If it stays on, your ECM may have failed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1991 honda civic hatchback won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have replaced the main reay, plugs , wires , ignition coil, cap, and rotar and still won't start. What else could it be?

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback [ 6 Answers ]

I have read the previous post about late 80-91 hondas. My car idles great and always starts on the first try. My problem is that it sputters or looses power once in a while when I am driving. It has never stalled while driving.I have taken it to the shop and they have checked everything they think...

1991 honda civic hatchback sometimes it turns off why please help! [ 0 Answers ]

I have a 1991 honda civic like 6 moths ago a did a swapp engine came off a 1989 integra double cam zc jdm engine complete with a pg7 ecu swapp came out good no problems then I drove it like for 3 moths and stop the car in the garage for like 3 moths 2 weeks ago I decided to turn it on and drive it...

1991 honda civic hatchback cx wiring problems [ 1 Answers ]

My civic when I put on my high beam lights my temperature gauge goes full and so does my gas hand go full, I have two sensors gone the one that turns on my coolent engine fan and a speed sensor , what's wrong with my gauges ?

Idle problems with a 1991 Honda Civic DX Hatchback [ 3 Answers ]

I have been fighting this problem for the past year and a bit and to be honest I would like to just take the stupid thing out back and shoot it. It starts fine and will idle for awhile fine but once it hits a certain temp (or if I drive it cold and come to the first stoplight) it idles ridiculously...

View more questions Search