Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laurie1787 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2012, 06:07 AM
    Am I responsible for my fathers debt?
    My father passed away in Dec 2011, I am now receiving his bills as far as
    Hospital, ambulance, funeral, etc. I'm wondering, I am not an only child, I am
    On disability myself, am I responsible for my fathers bills? Thanks for any help
    You can provide.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 20, 2012, 06:11 AM
    YOU are not responsible for his debt, but your late father's estate is.
    The actual funeral is a different matter.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 06:12 AM
    Not unless you signed for the bill at the hospital.

Does your father have a will, who is going to take care of his estate ( assuming he has one)

The hospital and other bills from when he was alive needs to be processed though his health insurance he had at the time.
    Who ever is handling your fathers estate ( money in the bank, cars, houses and the such) would set up an estate account pay the bills according to state law ( in the US) and dispose of property to pay the bills.

As for the funeral, who ever arranged and signed for the funeral will be paying for that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I'm responsible for debt, how do I get it out of someone else's name? [ 5 Answers ]

An account is in my son's name, all the charges are from me making them for my own use, how do i take responsibility for account and get it out of his name, so it won't go against him?

Am I responsible for my husband's debt? [ 2 Answers ]

I got married in June of this year (2010) and my husband moved into the home I own in Tennessee. He had a home in Florida that he owned with his prior (deceased) wife. It has been on the market now since April and has not sold. If it ends up in foreclosure can they try to take my house or other...

Can I be responsible for another persons debt [ 3 Answers ]

My brother had an account with a telephone/cable company and was disconnect due to an outstanding balance. When I moved in I set up an account with them in my name. Five months later when I moved out they transferred his outstanding balance onto my account. Is it legal for them to transfer his...

Am I responsible for my husbands debt? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband is currently in a law suit that MAY require his having to pay. He has not received a paycheck from our business (corporation) in the last year. So what I want to know is if he does have to pay and we can't afford the whole amount, will they garnish my wages and/or take any of our...

Who is responsible for the debt [ 3 Answers ]

Is a spouse responsible for their deceased spouse's debt if it is in the deceased party's name only?

View more questions Search