Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pheno_1 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2012, 04:15 AM
    Indian Citizen,currently Singapore tax resident moving to USA - Tax Implications
    I am an Indian citizen, considered a resident in Singapore and tax payer thereof for the last 3 years (4 years inclusive of this years filing). I am relocating to the US on a work permit.
    1. The financial year in SG and US is the same - Jan - Feb. I expect to file taxes here before leaving. So will I be taxed only for the time I actually stay in the US?
    2. I believe US has a double taxation treaty with India, but I haven’t paid taxes in India for the income I earn in Singapore given I am a resident here. So how will this be taken into account while filing taxes
    3. Worldwide taxation - I have no income from any other source apart from my employment but I retain a bank account in India to send money to - so yes do earn a little from the interest. Does that need to be declared while filing US Taxes?

Please advice.

Jun 20, 2012, 09:19 AM
    Have a question, if we have spent substantial time on a B1 and thereby qualify the 183 day criterion as provided here - then, does that mean we qualify as a resident alien for that year

Publication 519 (2011), U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 09:23 AM
    No, it means that, in the FIRST year, you meet the Substantial Presence Test, you qialify to file as a dual-status alien.

In order to file as a resident in the FIRST year, you must spend EVERY day of the year in the United States.

Jun 20, 2012, 09:30 AM
    As a dual status alien are we taxed like this
    .Alien status - income from time spent outside US not taxed
    Resident alien status - income from time spent in the US taxed

At what rates?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 09:32 AM
    Tax rates depend on level of income.

It starts at 10%, then 15%, then 25%, then 28%. There ARE higher rates, but that is for income in excess of $150K.

Jun 20, 2012, 09:38 AM
    Oh OK. I understand.
    So for the time spent in the US and income acrued thereof, say the amount totals to 10k.
    One will be taxed at resident rates for 10k.
    Please advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Peruvian citizen, US resident selling a property in Chile tax implications [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My former husband and I bought a property in Chile about 17 years ago. We were temporary residents there at the time. Since that we moved several times, divorced, I got married again and am a legal resident of the US in NC. Now are planning to sell that property in Chile and transfer the...

Taxes for an Indian citizen (currently in Singapore) moving to USA on fellowship [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was employed and paid taxes in India (2004-2006) before moving to study in Singapore. Having recently graduated, I intend to spend two years to the USA on an international fellowship and J1-visa starting August 2011. By August 2011, I would have paid taxes for one year in Singapore. I...

L1A and Resident Tax Implications [ 2 Answers ]

Good day. I am currently in the process of organizing the logistics for an L1A visa for myself. I am Canadian and work for a Canadian software company that is the parent of a US based subsidiary and will be moving to oversee the US offices. The question I have relates to the tax implications of...

OPT - H1B Tax Filing, Resident or Non-Resident and Implications [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Please help me, I am in a complex situation. Like so many H1-B visa holders, I was on OPT (F1) till Sep 30th 2009 and my H1 started from Oct 1st 2009 and I worked whole year for a single company but in two states. In what status do I have to file my taxes for 2009, is it Resident or...

Never visited USA - Capital Gains Tax - Indian citizen [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, I returned to India on Dec 2006 after staying 7 years in US and got married to an Indian girl Sep 2007. She is an home maker and I wanted to open a brokerage account in USA under her name. I do not want to open in my name due to potential tax complications both in India and US ( as I...

View more questions Search