Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rv_gatchalian Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2012, 02:23 AM
    Two 3way switches and single pole connection
    Can you help me on how I can install a two 3-way switches that controls lamp CD & lamp AB respectively in normal brightness and a single pole switch controlling all lamps to dim.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 12:20 PM
    Tell me what you mean by lamp CD and lamp AB.
    You won't use a separate switch to dim. You will use one regular 3-way switch and one dimable 3-way switch.
    ElectricianMan Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2012, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rv_gatchalian View Post
    Can you help me on how I can install a two 3-way switches that controls lamp CD & lamp AB respectively in normal brightness and a single pole switch controlling all lamps to dim.
    well reaching your objective would be very easy for qualified electrician . You should never do electrical work yourself as you are not qualified . You would not go and perform an operation on your foot , you would hire a doctor . That having been said if you have a crawlspace then an electrician can install wiring through the crawlspace . The electrician would use 14 three wire from three way switch to three way switch . And as the other person who answered said would install a three-way dimmer on one end and a regular three way switch on the other end . That having been said it is Ill advised to dim outlets for lamps . If you install a dimmer on an outlet then someone can plug something else into the outlet and burn up a motor . You may consider having a lighting repair store put special plugs on your lamps , and having a qualified licensed electrician install special outlets that a normal piece of equipment cannot be plugged into . Never do any electrical work yourself unless you have passed the test with the local authorities having jurisdiction and pulled electrical permit and have disconnected all power to your home .Link Removed

Jun 20, 2012, 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Tell me what you mean by lamp CD and lamp AB.
    You won't use a seperate switch to dim. You will use one regular 3-way switch and one dimable 3-way switch.
    There are four lamps in the circuit namely ABC&D. One 3way switch will control lamp AB and the other 3way switch will control lamp CD. These two 3way switches will control all lamp in normal brightness.

No dimmer will be used for these, instead a single pole to control all lamp to dim.

Can give help me by sending to me a schematic diagram? [email protected].

Jun 20, 2012, 07:37 PM
    Three way switches always work in pairs. They simply give you the ability to control lights from two different locations. They do not work the way it appears that you think they do.

If I understand what you are trying to do, you want one switch to turn all lights on and off. You want a dimmer switch to control the brightness of two lights and another dimmer to control the brightness of the other two. That can be done. However if you turn the lights off at the on/off switch you can not turn them back on at the dimmer switches. If you turn one set of lights off at one of the dimmer switchs you can not turn it back on at the on/off switch.

A all of the switches at one location? If so, having the switch to turn all light on and off seems a bit unnecessary but if that's the way you want it it can be done. If the dimmer switches are at a different locations from the on/off switch that sounds more logical.

So we need to know the switch locations, that is we need to know where the dimmers are relative to the on/off switch.
    We also need to know whether power is being fed to the switch location or to one of the lights.

Jun 20, 2012, 09:32 PM
    Three way switches always work in pairs. They simply give you the ability to control lights from two different locations. They do not work the way it appears that you think they do.

If I understand what you are trying to do, you want one switch to turn all lights on and off. You want a dimmer switch to control the brightness of two lights and another dimmer to control the brightness of the other two. That can be done. However if you turn the lights off at the on/off switch you can not turn them back on at the dimmer switches. If you turn one set of lights off at one of the dimmer switchs you can not turn it back on at the on/off switch.

A all of the switches at one location? If so, having the switch to turn all light on and off seems a bit unecessary but if that's the way you want it it can be done. If the dimmer switches are at a different locations from the on/off switch that sounds more logical.

So we need to know the switch locations, that is we need to know where the dimmers are relative to the on/off switch.
    We also need to know whether power is being fed to the switch location or to one of the lights.
    See attached

Jun 21, 2012, 04:18 AM
    No attached.

Jun 21, 2012, 06:16 AM
    No attached.
    See attached
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2012, 07:05 AM
    From your drawing, Looks like you may want a dimmer that controls all lights, and 2 separate on/off switches for your 2 sets of lights?

Jun 21, 2012, 07:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    From your drawing, Looks like you may want a dimmer that controls all lights, and 2 seperate on/off switches for your 2 sets of lights?
    NO I don't want a dimmer . I want it controlled by single pole to dim, while the two 3way switches in normal brightness.
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2012, 09:42 AM
    "NO I dont want a dimmer . I want it controlled by single pole to dim"
    Will get back when I figure out this statement.

Jun 21, 2012, 11:51 AM
    What drawing you looking at Strat. I don't see any attachment.
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2012, 01:21 PM
    HK, it was on his 8:16 post, looks like he or it has been removed?

Jun 21, 2012, 05:48 PM
    What drawing you looking at Strat. I don't see any attachment.
    Here is the attachment
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2012, 06:17 PM
    After seeing the image I said "From your drawing, Looks like you may want a dimmer that controls all lights, and 2 seperate on/off switches for your 2 sets of lights?"

HK can draw something that will work once in agreement. Getting close.

Jun 21, 2012, 06:43 PM
    After seeing the image I said "From your drawing, Looks like you may want a dimmer that controls all lights, and 2 seperate on/off switches for your 2 sets of lights?"

HK can draw something that will work once in agreement. Getting close.
    Thanks for the help. Hope it can be done as shown in the diagram. I understand when I connect all lamps in series it will dim, and if all lamp connected in parallel gives normal brightness, now, the problem is we need to connect them all to give normal brightness and have it dim with out using any dimmer.
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2012, 07:40 PM
    Do you mean switch back on or back to a preset dimness?
    I just reread it again, to change dimness without a dimmer, and it sounds like you want to switch from parallell to full brightness by having them in series?
    So you need a switch that will switch from 2 fixtures in parallell(full brightness), to 2 fixtures in series(dim)?
    If that is what you want, will give in next post.
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2012, 07:52 PM
    Here is your switching from series to parallell:
    Series Parallel Master Switch
    The first switch is what you want, where it says bridge and neck pickup, that is your 2 lights.
    You will need a DPDT Switch, you could have Center off, then series or parallel.
    I went back to a house I did years ago, and I used a 3 way switch, with center off, and one position was main light, the other position was night light light, and center was off, it worked, didn't take a lot of room. Actually a little nice.

Jun 21, 2012, 07:55 PM
    Do you mean switch back on or back to a preset dimness?
    I just reread it again, to change dimness without a dimmer, and it sounds like you want to switch from parallell to full brightness by having them in series?
    So you need a switch that will switch from 2 fixtures in parallell(full brightness), to 2 fixtures in series(dim)?
    If that is what you want, will give in next post.
    This is what our trainer gave us to solve. As what you can see in the diagram that is exactly what needs to perform. But still I can't make it as it should be. I have already consulted a number of electrician but they can't solve it. I hope we can make it here.
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2012, 08:00 PM
    Read my last post, the Parallell/Series switch in particular, we posted about the same time. We WILL solve this.
    Can you say" I Have 4 switches and I want each of the to do exactly what?
    ON/DIM? From multiple locations? Etc

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I make a 3way switch into a single pole switch? [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 bedrooms that I am trying to install new light switches in. They both had dimmer switches in, now I just want regular flip switches. The problem is that Room A seems to want to be a 3-way switch with room B. There are 3 black wires in the electrical box. Right now, with the dimmer...

2 3way switches and 2 lights [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any way to wire two lights and two 3 way switches? What I have is 12/2 going to a switch and from there I have 14/3 going from switch 1 to light 1 and from light 1 I have at 14/3 going to the 2nd switch. The ground and the red traveler pass all the way through. From there I have...

How to wire a combination 2 single pole switches [ 2 Answers ]

I bought an exhaust fan and a combination 2 single pole switches(cooper 271a) Im replacing a single pole switch with just a black and white wire How do I do this

Trying to change a single pole light switch to a single pole swith with a light below [ 5 Answers ]

I have a kitchen light and a basement light that are together in one electrical box, but are on single switches. I purchased a "single pole switch and pilot light" combination so I could see easily if the basement light is on. In the box there is a black, red and white wire. For the single pole...

3way or 4 way switches? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in an old 3 decker that was recently rehab'ed and turned into condo's. There is a main stair way that runs up to serve the second and third floors. On each floor (main, 2nd, third) there is a light switch that when turned on, will turn on a hallway light on each floor. We want to...

View more questions Search