Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rv_gatchalian Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2012, 08:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Read my last post, we posted about the same time. We WILL solve this.
    Can you say" I Have 4 switches and I want each of the to do exactly what?
    ON/DIM? from multiple locations? etc
    I am looking into your last post.

The single pole will do the ON/DIM of the four lamps, while the two 3way switches will ON/brightness control . I don't know yet if 1 wire in the 3way switch is a decoy or something.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2012, 05:45 AM
    I am still confused about dimming with a single pole switch, which is OFF or ON.

Jun 22, 2012, 06:05 AM
    I am still confused about dimming with a single pole switch, which is OFF or ON.
    When switch on it will dim
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2012, 06:58 AM
    One way to turn on(close a switch), and have it dimmer would be for that switch to energize a relay to connect a dimmer.
    Normally closing a switch will go to full brightness.
    What parts can you use?
    If just single pole switches, you could use 4 to simulate a DPDT, to go from parallel to series.

Jun 22, 2012, 07:21 AM
    One way to turn on(close a switch), and have it dimmer would be for that switch to energize a relay to connect a dimmer.
    Normally closing a switch will go to full brightness.
    What parts can you use?
    If just single pole switches, you could use 4 to simulate a DPDT, to go from parallel to series.
    The materials which our trainer wanted us to use are those in the diagram. He told us that those in the diagram are the materials we will be using.

I have attached a diagram that shows number of wires.

Hope this will us to solve this problem. Thanks for the help.
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2012, 07:35 AM
    I have to head out, but seeing 4 conductors going to the lights, Means each light has its own pair of wires which would allow series connection. Back this afternoon.
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2012, 05:58 PM
    Your diagram is gone again, can you please repost?

Jun 22, 2012, 06:25 PM
    Your diagram is gone again, can you please repost?
    See attached
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Connection_wire.pdf (32.6 KB, 103 views)
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2012, 08:34 AM
    Will be working on it, can't tell if the 3rd pole on the 3 way is needed yet.
    Does it have to work electrically and Meet code(meaning, can you open the neutral to allow series?)
    If three way are used and all conductors are used, then you should be able to have power go through J1 to J2, and the switch connections will also go through J1 to J2, which accounts for all 4 conductors, and eleminates Junction Box 1(They just pass through.)
    Are you also suppose to be able to dim AB with CD off, and vice versa?
    Good head scratcher.
    Should have it by weekend?

Jun 23, 2012, 04:09 PM
    Will be working on it, can't tell if the 3rd pole on the 3 way is needed yet.
    Does it have to work electrically and Meet code(meaning, can you open the neutral to allow series?)
    If three way are used and all conductors are used, then you should be able to have power go through J1 to J2, and the switch connections will also go through J1 to J2, which accounts for all 4 conductors, and eleminates Junction Box 1(They just pass through.)
    Are you also suppose to be able to dim AB with CD off, and vice versa?
    Good head scratcher.
    Should have it by weekend?
    Honestly, I really don't know if all the conductors will be used or maybe some are decoys...
    Yes AB and CD will dim together when single pole is switch ON.
    I have so many head scratches too. I have until mid July for this.
    Strat. Thanks for helping.
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2012, 07:25 AM
    I wonder if the single pole switch will closed(on) to dim. Opening to dim, makes more sense, in which case the switch may be install upside down, so that up is dim?
    Seems it can only be done if switching the neutral?

Over 30 years ago as an Electrician Helper, I was asked by my employer to draw out 3 way switch diagram,
    With an electronics back ground, and didn't know you couldn't switch a neutral. I drew a diagram that had a hot and neutral on both 3 ways travellers terminals, then the common of each switch went to the light. Worked exactly like 3 ways, but was switching the neutral. If the bulb saw 2 hots or 2 neutrals, it would not light, if either was switched, light would go on?

Jun 24, 2012, 04:20 PM
    I wonder if the single pole switch will closed(on) to dim. opening to dim, makes more sense, in which case the switch may be install upside down, so that up is dim?
    Seems it can only be done if switching the neutral?

Over 30 years ago as an Electrician Helper, I was asked by my employer to draw out 3 way switch diagram,
    With an electronics back ground, and didn't know you couldn't switch a neutral. I drew a diagram that had a hot and neutral on both 3 ways travellers terminals, then the common of each switch wet to the light. Worked exactly like 3 ways, but was switching the neutral. If the bulb saw 2 hots or 2 neutrals, it would not light, if either was switched, light would go on?
    Really it gives me a lot of head scratches, if only I can alter the material needed, but it can't be because this diagram is already been in the circuit board, what we need to do is to tap it and make it done. It has already been set up, one time our trainer showed us if it works or not, but when he showed us it works but the junction boxes are closed which we can't see the connection on how it was done.

But anyway thank you for the help, I am still figuring out how to fix it.
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2012, 04:42 PM
    No, I'm with you on that and know this is only to be dimmed with a switch. Still thinking, Wondering if its possible, especially not being able to switch the neutral? Still Thinking...

Jun 24, 2012, 06:00 PM
    No, I'm with you on that and know this is only to be dimmed with a switch. still thinking, Wondering if its possible, especially not being able to switch the neutral? Still Thinking....
    Thanks a lot start...
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2012, 06:14 AM
    Can you switch the Neutral? Or does this just electrically have to work?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I make a 3way switch into a single pole switch? [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 bedrooms that I am trying to install new light switches in. They both had dimmer switches in, now I just want regular flip switches. The problem is that Room A seems to want to be a 3-way switch with room B. There are 3 black wires in the electrical box. Right now, with the dimmer...

2 3way switches and 2 lights [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any way to wire two lights and two 3 way switches? What I have is 12/2 going to a switch and from there I have 14/3 going from switch 1 to light 1 and from light 1 I have at 14/3 going to the 2nd switch. The ground and the red traveler pass all the way through. From there I have...

How to wire a combination 2 single pole switches [ 2 Answers ]

I bought an exhaust fan and a combination 2 single pole switches(cooper 271a) Im replacing a single pole switch with just a black and white wire How do I do this

Trying to change a single pole light switch to a single pole swith with a light below [ 5 Answers ]

I have a kitchen light and a basement light that are together in one electrical box, but are on single switches. I purchased a "single pole switch and pilot light" combination so I could see easily if the basement light is on. In the box there is a black, red and white wire. For the single pole...

3way or 4 way switches? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in an old 3 decker that was recently rehab'ed and turned into condo's. There is a main stair way that runs up to serve the second and third floors. On each floor (main, 2nd, third) there is a light switch that when turned on, will turn on a hallway light on each floor. We want to...

View more questions Search