Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rickjones282 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2012, 07:18 PM
    Embarrassing Situation and I'm clueless...
    This is a HORRIBLE situation I'm in and I hope someone can give me some advice. My ex/gf-still good friend's mom invited me to come and live at her home (she is single and owns a house and I lost my job and was evicted from my rental and have a pet as does she and I just got my CDL so I could leave MI for employment.). She had me move EVERYTHING I OWN into her house (very valuable things... lcd tv's, brand new furniture, computers, tools, dishes, LITERALLY EVERYTHING) and after one month of my staying there she called the police on me to have me thrown out... which they did. Mind you, I was never once asked to leave... nothing... and have now found out she is a SERIOUS drug addict. She said I didn't have to pay any rent... just let her use my state bridge food card, (which I HAD to get for the first time in my life at 40 years old) provide her some transportation from time to time (she has no car) and help her with the house (I have already performed over a thousand dollars of free work in one month and I paid for materials). Without ever asking me to leave... ever SUGGESTING I should live elsewhere... she called the POLICE on me and had me and my dog thrown out (which they did while threatening to arrest me if I object).. Now she is trying to keep all of my things. My HUGE QUESTION is... shouldn't the police have HAD to give me SOME KIND of notice seeing as I'd lived there a month already and ALL of my property was there? Clearly I was "allowed" to move there... Certainly NOT a case of "I spent the night once and just wouldn't leave". It's come to light since moving there that she is a junkie and she has been doing all she can to even stop me from taking my things. (the police showed back up and "allowed" me 15 minutes to grab some things after the first ones woke me and threw me out the door) It's becoming clear the home owner is literally trying to keep all of my furniture, property, tools... etc... All I've been able to get is clothing and a couple of items. What isn't inside the home in use is in the garage... literally ALL of my belongings.. How could they say I WASN'T a resident (had established residency) when ALL of my property was clearly there and won't I actually be deemed to have abandoned my things if I don't/can't get them out of there fast enough? If I had ANY CLUE anything like this COULD HAPPEN I would have put all of my stuff into storage or sold it..
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 19, 2012, 07:24 PM
    Yes the police had no business removing you unless she claimed you were threatening her.

So you file suit against her for illegal eviction, including the expenses incurred and the return of your belongings
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 19, 2012, 07:37 PM
    Agree, you file a law suit and sue her, for illegal eviction, and for the value of all of your property. You may even be able to include law suit against the police for violation of civil rights since they did not have any legal reasons to do this. ** unless there is something you are not tellling us**

so you need to be sitting in an attorneys office you have a good case.
    rickjones282 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2012, 08:25 PM
    ABSOUTELY NOT ONE DETAIL of this situation has been left out.. The police showed up at 8 am beating on my locked bedroom door and told me to "pack a bag and get the hell out NOW or go to jail and have my animal euthanized" otherwise based on principle, I probably would have LET them arrest me.. NEVER EVER was there a threat or ANYTHING like that.. (not even a disagreement) which is why I believe this to actually be some kind of "plot".. The furniture in the living room ALONE was just bought for 6k... I could have WOULD HAVE sold that alone and put my stuff into storage and stayed in a motel if necessary for a few weeks (I'm 39 w/ no kids, so that would be doable) to save the REAL valuable stuff... (priceless things left to me by deceased family members, tools, computers, 4 40+ inch HDTV's etc) I was FULLY ENCOURAGED to bring it ALL and "NOT TO WORRY ABOUT A THING...stay as long as I like" which is why I did a thousand dollars worth of construction for her for free ($1,000.00 materials). How would I find an attorney to handle this and can ANYTHING be done IMMEDIATELY to save my stuff, etc? I'm CERTAIN things are being sold or traded for drugs AS I'M TYPING THIS.. (appeal to a higher law enf agency, etc) I've never been through something like this before but I sure asked the police seargant "what in the hell he'd be arresting me for" (charge) and he told me he didn't care... he'd say abuse of the elderly if he had to... get out now... For the sake of my beloved 12 year old pet I left and the police (Dearborn) are "too busy to allow me any more than 15 minutes" per trip to even go through and gather my things. I went to get things once and they spent more time searching me and my property with me detained... checking my legally registered firearm... I wasn't even able to get a thing. Mind you I have NO criminal record, don't drink or use drugs... and I look as clean cut as I'm describing... In their computer and in person... They even made me open my safe so they could search it... (which is how they got to run the numbers on my pistol) All of my property (gun, safe, etc) I had out of the house I was allowed to leave with... so that alone probably speaks volumes.. If you're not crystal clean and legal they don't give your gun back to you. If anyone can advise me how to proceed I sure would appreciate it, or if anyone is an attorney and wants to help or knows an attorney, etc..
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 20, 2012, 03:19 AM
    Talk to the local bar association for recommendations. Contact anyone you know in the Real Estate industry who can recommend an attorney. Your case seems very solid so you should be able to get an attorney to work on contingency.

But you need to file today to get an order to either recover your things or to prevent her from selling them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

This is so embarrassing for me... [ 5 Answers ]

It's just about my lingering situation since I've started coming on here that I'm still trying to "fix". Kids' dad and I broke up about 4-5 months ago, he left us for another woman. This is the same guy I've been back and forth with for the past 12 + years. I really need help. He is trying...

This is really embarrassing, but, I [ 9 Answers ]

Does this make me a pervert? Iīm really ashamed of myself, if I see a picture of a girl, thatīs not wearing anything, I will think itīs really nasty. But sometimes I get really arused by it. Could this be Puberty? I also a have a foot fitish. Does this make me a bad person? I have never had sex...

Embarrassing needs [ 4 Answers ]

I don't know where do go on this thing I'm really new.. And I have a question which I'm desperate to get an answer for I feel very immature to be a recently graduated high school student who knows nothing with my question Please help

Embarrassing ? [ 3 Answers ]

Let me state the facts and then the ? I have not or ever will have a STD! Went to the Doc and I have no Yeast infection! He said everything looked great! I am itching like crazy, down there!

So embarrassing... [ 2 Answers ]

Is it normal for a girl of 13 to get off like 3 times a day? I mean I'm not slutty at all I plan on staying a virgin until I'm 90, lol. But uh... is there any abnormalities about being that aroused?

View more questions Search