Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shebabear88 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2012, 06:01 PM
    2wk old stray kitten suddenly died, answers? I feel awful.
    Thursday night I was driving home when I found an all white kitten in the middle of the road. That night I bathed him and de-flead him. Not much of an apppetite so Friday afternoon I took him to a clinic where they told me he needed immediate care from humane society or vet and that he was very very sick. I then took him to the vet where they cleaned his butt area and gave him a de-wormer shot. Told me buy KMR and feed evey two-three hours, also some canned wet food warmed up. I did so and Saturday evening I noticed he had been trying to poo and could only a little would come out. When I called the vet with my concern they explained to wait out the weekend and if he still hadn't gone to call Monday. The weekend passed kitty had been eating very well peeing and pooing in a box, it had been diarehha so I was concerned. Kitty weighed 12oz when I weighed him Friday and Monday night weighed 15oz, so he was gaining weight. Monday morning I called the vet and explained he had begun pooing but.I was concernced because.of the consistency, again they told me to wait it out till Monday night Tuesday morning and if it were still diarehha to bring him in Tuesday. Monday night he was cudding with me in bed when I woke up(around2a.m.) he began peeing so I placed him in his area where plenty of water food and heated pillow thing were for him. In the morning I noticed he was.not on his.pillow but laying on the ground.next to him he had pooed twice and peed once since.I put him to bed. Got his morning breakfast ready (about 730a.m.) went to grab him in a towel when I noticed he was not breathing, eyes wide open, and stiff. I feel as if I did something or could have done somethi.g to prevent his death. Afterwards I kept googling things and realized that kittens can become hypothermic or have a seizure? I need some closure because all I do is keep blaming myself. Does anyone have any idea what could have happen to my baby, I feel so awful and heart broken right now and just wish I would have woken up sooner and I could have done something. He seemed fine when I put him to bed, and was goi.g to take him Tuesday to the vet... What happened?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2012, 06:38 PM
    No one will ever know what happened. I'm concerned that you bathed and de-wormed a kitten that must have weighed 12 ounces, give or take. Why?

At 2 weeks old he probably had problems you - and a Vet - could not solve. What is KMR? Dry food, wet food? At 2 weeks shouldn't he have been feeding from a bottle?

I woke up 2 months ago to find my 7 year old dog dead at the foot of my bed. I'm haunted, I'll never know if I missed something, should have done something, I'll never really know.

Sometimes life is not kind.

Jun 19, 2012, 06:48 PM
    The vet I took him too tole me to bathe lightly bathe him to rid the fleas he was infested with and also to help keep his tousche clean , they de wormed the approx.2week old kitten to help get rod of any parasites it may have gotten being in the woods. KMR is a milk substitue for kittens, liquid . Also did purée wet cat food maybe 1-2 times daily he seemed to like it better and as skinny as he was I wanted him eating. Whenever I fed him the wet food I would also feed at least a tablespoon of liquid kmr. Just from reading online I think he may have been older than 2weeks, all front teeth with partially erupted molars, eyes open, ears up. But I'm no trained vet.
    He was bottle fed but also ate on his own with ease.
    Im sorry to hear about you dog its an awful feeling and have been sick about it all day.
    I mean you take an animal to the vet to help your pet, not knowing much I trusted them that they would be honest and do the right thing.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2012, 06:54 PM
    I think you did the very best you could do. You can't go to the Vet's house and beat the door down. Obviously the Vet didn't see the problem.

I don't know if this will help you but whatever happened to the kitten before you found him you cannot change - and he spent days with you, warm and cared for and loved, and he died with someone who loved him - you.

It gets no better than that.

He could have been hit by a car, been victimized by another animals, died alone and cold and afraid.

I hope you find peace. It's not your fault.

Jun 19, 2012, 06:57 PM
    Thank you I guess I was just too optimistic about the strength he gained. One things sure, Nothings ever sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I feel so awful. [ 2 Answers ]

I got drunk 5 days ago with my best friend's boyfriend and ended up doing things with him I feel absolutely horrible cause not only is she my best friend but so is her boyfriend. I had to tell her cause I literally tell her everything she's like my sister and I knew if she found out later she would...

Stray Kitten Tips [ 20 Answers ]

Hey everyone, I recently got my hands on about a 6-8 month old kitten,I fund her starving, and extremely boney, she's super skinny and all bones, I have a few questions that I need answers on! She is very tiny as I have mentioned, and I was wondering how much I should feed her at a time, because...

Stray kitten with deformed pupil [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I have found a stray cat and her litter in my neighborhood and am trying to find them homes. I can't take them in right now because I have 2 cats of my own and am already caring for 2 other strays, and local no-kill shelters are currently full. I'm particularly concerned about one of the...

Took in stray cat possible kitten/ appears pregnant [ 2 Answers ]

A few weeks ago, I took in a stray cat... She may be a kitten, she's kind of small and very playful. Recently, my fianc'e and I noticed her stomach was getting larger. She appears to be pregnant and she is not very playful she just wants to sleep everywhere around the house. I am not sure if she...

View more questions Search