Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Caressa2002 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2012, 04:02 PM
    "As Is" Cars!! Is there a law
    I just brought a 2006 750 BMW I was told that this was a great car and that have been mantiance which include oil change , etc... Just after I purchased the car I went to drive off and notice the Cd player wasn't working after that I went back in to dealer and notify him he told me to bring car back that following week to fix... I then drive car home the next day my check engine line came on.. I call them they said bring back they will look into it.. That follow week they keep my car for a week to work on it.. They got The cd player working but my check engine light came back on two days later.. I decide to call back they gave me lies.. One person said that it was the gas top the other said the Census but they all lied that just reseted my engine light.. I ask them about why my oil light was on because the manger said he had just had it change and service that was a lie.. Tool my car tj the BMW and my God everything wrong... Values , oil leaks, shafts issue and more... R there any laws for this type if issue.. Even if there was a as is... I think I should have to work in a car that early.. We talking 1000s to repair... Please someone give me some pointers...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 19, 2012, 04:13 PM
    Did you pay a good mechanic to check over the car before you bought it?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 19, 2012, 07:58 PM
    Which is why, they call it "as is" it means there is no warranty and you agree to buy it as it is.

Which is why you take it to your own mechanic or have an independent mechanic look it over before you buy it. There are even mobile mechanics that specialize in this. It is often worth 200 to 400 to have it inspected before buying it.

You now just own a car that needs a lot of repair, Hope it is a lesson learned
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 19, 2012, 08:00 PM
    Buyer beware. As is is exactly what it says. As is.

It's up to the purchaser to have the vehicle checked by a mechanic before buying. If you failed to do that, then you're about to learn a very valuable lesson.

But, to answer your question. Yes, there is a law for "as is" cars. They're sold as is. If they need thousands of dollars in repairs, and you buy it anyway, congrats, you have a car that needs thousands in repairs. The seller isn't responsible. You didn't do your due diligence.
    NedLudd Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2012, 03:07 PM
    This car cost close to $100,000 with options when new. It is an extremely complex high performance luxury car. If in perfect condition with all service done properly it will be a VERY expensive car to maintain. In less than perfect condition, or not obsessively maintained you can easily spend more than the current value of the car just getting everything working right. Have you looked at the price of a transmission rebuild, for instance?
    Although you paid $20,000 you are repairing a $100,000 car. If you are able to budget several hundred dollars a month for maintenance this may be a reasonable car for you. If not, maybe a Toyota Avalon or similar would be better. Any high performance luxury European car will be very expensive to keep up.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2012, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NedLudd View Post
    This car cost close to $100,000 with options when new. It is an extremely complex high performance luxury car. If in perfect condition with all service done properly it will be a VERY expensive car to maintain. In less than perfect condition, or not obsessively maintained you can easily spend more than the current value of the car just getting everything working right. Have you looked at the price of a transmission rebuild, for instance?
    Although you paid $20,000 you are repairing a $100,000 car. If you are able to budget several hundred dollars a month for maintenance this may be a reasonable car for you. If not, maybe a Toyota Avalon or similar would be better. Any high performance luxury European car will be very expensive to keep up.

I have high end cars. I very well know the cost of maintenance and repairs. I am surprised that people buy them without a mechanical inspection, without an extended warranty, from a private person.

I don't know about OP but I see people who want to drive a BMW - or whatever - and can afford only the purchase, not the repairs and maintenance. Money is only the first problem; finding a mechanic who is knowledgeable is the second problem.

It's not just about being seen in a high performance, high end car.

I had an electrical problem in my sedan. The "hood open" light kept going on, followed by the "passenger's door is open" light, followed by the "tire pressure is low" light. It needed repairs to the electrical system, and the car was one year old. The cost? Seven Thousand Dollars. It was covered by the warranty, of course, but it could have been a disaster.

(I didn't buy these cars. They belonged to my late husband who liked the models, did his research, traded every two years. I'm holding on to them at least for the short term.)
    Pets Expert

Aug 29, 2012, 03:39 PM
    Reminds me of my moms Audi. Stupid car. We bought it used, and it had nothing but issues, with no mechanic knowledgeable enough to even refill the wiper fluid.
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2012, 04:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Reminds me of my moms Audi. Stupid car. We bought it used, and it had nothing but issues, with no mechanic knowledgeable enough to even refill the wiper fluid.

- And mechanics put their hands in the "hold up" position and say, "We don't work on X's."

In my area there is one dealer within 250 miles. You go there for service, particularly warranty issues, or... I guess you fix it yourself.

I had an Audi - I reached the "me or the car" stage.
    Pets Expert

Aug 29, 2012, 04:22 PM
    My mom reached that stage too, finally got a Chevy. Much easier to get work done on a Chevy.

I'm foreign, so I love foreign cars. But, unless you live in the country where they're made, good luck finding someone that knows anything about them.
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2012, 04:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    My mom reached that stage too, finally got a Chevy. Much easier to get work done on a Chevy.

I'm foreign, so I love foreign cars. But, unless you live in the country where they're made, good luck finding someone that knows anything about them.

I suspect that people in Germany are driving Toyotas.
    Pets Expert

Aug 29, 2012, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I suspect that people in Germany are driving Toyotas.
    LOL! Not really. People in Germany buy the smallest cars they can afford. The streets are very narrow. You won't see trucks and SUV's owned by the average person, unless they own or work for a company that requires such vehicles for transport.

Germany also has strict laws about vehicles. A vehicle that's 10 years old or older needs to undergo inspection. If it runs, that's not enough. It it's rusty, doesn't look nice, it won't pass inspection.

VW beetles are prominent in Germany, because they're reliable, small, and last forever. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Limit law on cars [ 5 Answers ]

I have only had my Truck for 61/2 months and the mottor has went out already and I was wanting to know the limit law trading the truckin iI got from joe machens I put 2,000 down now they are telling me that I have to make another down payment to get into another car?

All about cars [ 5 Answers ]

I have a mazda protégé from 91, how much would a new engine cost ( & does me being cute have anything to do with the cost of the engine being able to be lowered)?

California ASIS law on used cars from private parties. [ 10 Answers ]

Recently purchased a used truck. Ad said it runs great. I thoroughly checked it over when meeting with the private party. Drove it, etc. It had been sitting for 6 months so the fact that is was running rough was understood by both parties to be related to fouled spark plugs. Within one day...

Cars [ 1 Answers ]

I had put a performance ditributor cap and rotor in my 1989 honda civic hatchback dx as well as a external ignition coil and new spark plugs and 8.5 mm wires.I first started the car up and it high idling and then I shut it down.I reorganized the wire and I got nothing but back firing and or mis...

View more questions Search