Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ruirui Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2012, 11:22 AM
    Am I eligible for tax exemption?
    Hi, I am from China. My original visa status is H4 (it is my first entry into USA) . Now I find a job. The university sponsored me to change my visa from H4 to J1 to allow me to work in USA. So now I am J1 visa holder. I wanto to ask am I eligible for tax exemption (I mean local tax, I think I have to pay federal tax) from my income for the first three years?

All my friends who are J1 holders didn't pay local tax, but they all entry in USA in the status of J1, which is different from me. I am wondering whether changing status from H4 to J1 will affect my benefit of tax?

I am really worrying about that. Please help me. I will really appreciate it!

Thank you very much!
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 19, 2012, 01:01 PM
    I am not aware of such a local tax exemption, but that would depend on the law in whatever locality you are in (You didn't indicate where you are.)

Jun 19, 2012, 01:29 PM
    Hi, thank you very much for your reply! I live and work in Rhode Island.

Jun 19, 2012, 01:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    I am not aware of such a local tax exemption, but that would depend on the law in whatever locality you are in (You didn't indicate where you are.)
    I am looking forward to your reply! Thank you very much!
    Expert

Jun 19, 2012, 01:55 PM
    You said "local tax". Do you mean county or city, and which city or county? And do you mean income tax, property tax, sales tax, or what?

Jun 19, 2012, 01:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    You said "local tax". Do you mean county or city, and which city or county? And do you mean income tax, property tax, sales tax, or what?
    Hi, local tax means tax for State, in my case, it will be Rhode Island. I also don't know whether I should pay tax for country (federal tax). In addition, I mean income (salary) tax. Thank you very much!
    Expert

Jun 19, 2012, 02:18 PM
    So you are saying that "All [your] friends who are J1 holders didn't pay" the Rhode Island Personal Income Tax. Here are the regulations. I don''t see any such exemption.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax and penalty exemption while withdrawing 401k through India-US tax treaty [ 11 Answers ]

As context, we resided in the United States from 2000 to 2009. Currently, we are Indian residents and Indian citizens (U.S. non-resident aliens). Through 4-5 years of employment in the US, we have a 401(k) account held in the U.S. (earned during years of employment and residency within the U.S.)....

Russian F-1 Student. Federal Tax Exemption based on the US-Russia Tax Treaty? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a Russian graduate student who was in US on an F-1 visa since 2005. In 2005 I had a fellowship, later in 2006 I became a Graduate Student Researcher (research assistant). That paid my tuition and a monthly stipend. SHORT VERSION: For years 2006, 2007 I claimed full refund of...

Is resident(tax purpose) eligible to $5000 exemption (US-China)? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi There, I had hold a F-1 visa since 2001 and changed to H1B last September. I'm planing to file my tax return as a resident since I'm qualified (right?). Some people say that I won't be eligible to the $5000 exemption then. Some say that I am still eligible. I'm confused. Could you please help...

2555 - Am I eligible to get that exemption ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I need help in understanding if I need to go the route of 2555 or should I report the indian income in 10 40 and get tax credit through 1116. Here is the brief summary of my status: I work for an indian software company and on L1 visa here on deputation for one of their clients. My...

Document to File prooving exemption of NY State tax and the Federal tax: F1 Status [ 1 Answers ]

Hi experts' Hi What should my employer file, to exempt me from Federal and state tax, I am in NY, and live in NYC, My Visa status is OPT... F1 JazZ

View more questions Search