Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rlwilson312 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2012, 10:25 AM
    Real Estate question
    I purchased a duplex about 7 years ago and I'm considering selling, but I have some questions first.

When I made the purchase I remember my cpa asking if I planned on keeping the property for 10 years, something to do with how he was going to depreciate it on taxes. I answered yes, because at the time I thought I was going to keep it that long. Now that I haven't, what are the implications if:

1. I sell the property for no gain (I'm considering selling it to a family member for the same 119,000 that I paid for it).

2. I sell the property for a gain (just say 130,000 for instance).

And yes... I still use the same CPA and I will be consulting that person before actually making any transactions. I'm just in the preliminary stages of thinking about selling and I'm not ready to pay for his services until I need them. Any education I could get here for the bargain price would be greatly appreciated
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2012, 04:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rlwilson312 View Post
    I purchased a duplex about 7 years ago and I'm considering selling, but I have some questions first.

When I made the purchase I remember my cpa asking if I planned on keeping the property for 10 years, something to do with how he was going to depreciate it on taxes. I answered yes, because at the time I thought I was going to keep it that long. Now that I haven't, what are the implications if:

1. I sell the property for no gain (I'm considering selling it to a family member for the same 119,000 that I paid for it).

2. I sell the property for a gain (just say 130,000 for instance).

And yes...I still use the same CPA and I will be consulting that person before actually making any transactions. I'm just in the preliminary stages of thinking about selling and I'm not ready to pay for his services until I need them. Any education I could get here for the bargain price would be greatly appreciated
    If the property has been depreciated for tax purposes you will have a capital gain in either instance. Your CPA will advise you regarding the implications of your tax personal position.

Always remember tax and accounting advice is worth what you pay for it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Real estate question [ 1 Answers ]

Variables Good A Good B Good C Price (P) 6 8 3 Quantity (Q) 100 100 300 Total wage (W) 250 390 150 Interest cost (I) 50 50 550 Transportation (t) 0.20 0.40 0.15 Question1: A. What will be produced where if only good A and B are produced? B. What would be the impact of the transportation...

Real estate question [ 9 Answers ]

Hi. In 2006, happily married, my husband and I purchased a home in Hawaii. 2008, we stopped making payments and the home went into the foreclosure process in April 2011. Sept 2011, my happy marriage came to an end and we got our divorce. Oct 27, 2011 my ex husband gave me a 45 days to vacate letter...

Commercial Real Estate Question [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter deposits her check in the local office mail slot of her landlord. The checks are dated and delivered the first of each month, however, the landlords' agent does not either pick them up or deposit them immediately. Now my daughter is being assessed late fees for rental checks delivered...

Georgia real estate law question? [ 4 Answers ]

Our family owns 2 parcels of real estate with another family member that lives out of state. Our family has always paid the property taxes with no help from the out of state relative. However, the relative has always received any monies made from timber sales. The have reaped the benefits but...

Lease to buy real estate question [ 2 Answers ]

I'm having a tough time selling my house in southern California and really need to get it off my hands due to a job transfer out of state. I've been contacted by a company that wants to do lease it out and pay my monthly mortgage payments for 3 or 4 years and then buy it at the time. The buy...

View more questions Search