Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pslflcb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2012, 11:21 AM
    Salary vs hourly employment
    I was hired as a salaried employee, based on 40 hrs per week; no contract signed, just a verbal agreement. During July and Aug this year I'm being cut to 20 hrs per week at an hourly pay rate of $6.00 per hr less than my "salary" rate. Then in Sept I'm being bumped back up to 40 hrs per week, at the salary rate. However during 6 months of the year, when I'm on "salary", I actually work 43 hrs per week, but my check only shows payment based on 40 hrs. Can an employer legally do this sort of thing?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2012, 12:37 PM
    Where? Union or contract?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 18, 2012, 12:49 PM
    Is your lunch and break part of that 43 hours?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 18, 2012, 05:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    ... Union or contract?
    I believe OP answered that question before you asked it: "no contract signed, just a verbal agreement."

Unless the verbal agreement had some sort of tenure provision ("I won't lay you off without good cause" or "if I have to lay you off or reduce your hours, I will give you a severance package", I don't believe OP has much of a case. The employer could just let OP go, and then, if he or she chose, re-hire him/her at the reduced hours per week and reduced wage rate.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2012, 07:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    I believe OP answered that question before you asked it: "no contract signed, just a verbal agreement."

Unless the verbal agreement had some sort of tenure provision ("I won't lay you off without good cause" or "if I have to lay you off or reduce your hours, I will give you a severance package", I don't believe OP has much of a case. The employer could just let OP go, and then, if he or she chose, re-hire him/her at the reduced hours per week and reduced wage rate.
    - And so he did.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hourly over salary [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone in the State of Georgia who is an houry employee be the boss of an salary employee?

Salary vs hourly [ 3 Answers ]

If a person is salary do they get paid 40 hours per week and no overtime? If they are hourly they only get paid the hours they work including overtime at time and a half.

Salary vs Hourly, punching a clock on salary. [ 2 Answers ]

My company put me on salary a few years back. I still have to work overtime and I still have to punch a time card, I just dont get paid for any overtime hours. Also I have not gotten the standard raise that I used to get anymore. I was wondering is this fair practice?

View more questions Search