Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tornadoalli Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2007, 05:14 PM
    My Son was in a car accident. At the time of the accident he was ticketed for fail to yield. The street had no stop or yield signs so since he was at the right he got the ticket. They were both at fault. What my question is the officer at the scene informed my son that Kansas is a no fault state. What exactly does that mean in regards to damages to the vehicles? Also after contacting my insurance company I found that our insurance had expired 2 months earlier. The other party was ticketed for no proof of insurance at the site. What are we liable for since my was ticketed for fail to yield?
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 28, 2007, 10:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tornadoalli
    My Son was in a car accident. At the time of the accident he was ticketed for fail to yield. The street had no stop or yield signs so since he was at the right he got the ticket. They were both at fault. What my question is the officer at the scene informed my son that Kansas is a no fault state. What exactly does that mean in regards to damages to the vehicles? Also after contacting my insurance company I found that our insurance had expired 2 months earlier. The other party was ticketed for no proof of insurance at the site. What are we liable for since my was ticketed for fail to yield?
    A "no fault" state means that if the person who is at fault does not have insurance, that the person who is not at fault will have the cost of repairs paid by his own insurance company. The insurance company will then file suit against the owner of the automobile which was at fault. You are missing the big picture. If your state requires insurance and you do not have it, you better get it before going to court. There is a 5 year auto suspension for driving without insurance. The only way to get the license back is to show insurance. Thereafter you will be required to show insurance coverage every 6 months.

As to the other person, if he has insurance, he will bring the paperwork to court and the case against him for being unable to show insurance will probably be dismissed.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 28, 2007, 11:09 AM
    No Fault refers to insurance coverage and the right to sue, not to blame for the accident. If your son was ticketed for failure to yield, then it would be deemed he was to blame.

Since you were uninsured, the other driver's insurance (assuming he is covered) will pay the repairs then go after you and your son for reimbursement. I hope there wasn't too much damage since you are going to have to pay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Pink pill with "watson" and "502" on it [ 2 Answers ]

What kind of pill is pink and has watson 502 on it?

"web site" or "website" [ 4 Answers ]

Google searching the two terms show 61% of pages use the term "web site" and the others use "website". Many pages use both! Just out of trivial curiosity, does anyone know of an "authority" who argues that it should be one or the other?

Heater blows cold when "On", not at all on "Auto" [ 1 Answers ]

Our gas heater is 7 years old, and has worked fine in the two years we've rented here. This winter though, we can't get it to work consistently. When on "Auto", it doesn't turn on at all, no matter what temperature we select, and when we turn the fan to "On", it simply blows cold air. It...

View more questions Search