Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    legomac Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2012, 03:20 PM
    Does anyone know the formula to solve this word problem?
    Does anyone know the formula to solve this word problem?
    Gina can solve all the problems in a chapter in 12 hours and karen can in 16 hours, how long will it take them working together? I know the answer is 4.8 hours but I don't know how to get that answer
    Kor214 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2012, 04:49 PM
    The answer is 6.857hrs. Gina's rate is 1/12 chapter per hour and Karen's is 1/16. Add their rates together to get 7/48 chapter per hour, which means 1 chapter would take 48/7 hours.

Jun 17, 2012, 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kor214 View Post
    The answer is 6.857hrs. Gina's rate is 1/12 chapter per hour and Karen's is 1/16. Add their rates together to get 7/48 chapter per hour, which means 1 chapter would take 48/7 hours.
    I really appreciate your help, but the answer is supposed to before.8 hours.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 17, 2012, 06:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by legomac View Post
    I really appreciate your help, but the answer is supposed to b 4.8 hours.
    Kor214 is correct. Either you made a mistake in entering the problem or the answer you have is incorrect. Think about it this way - the absolute least time it could ever take two people to accomplish what one could by herself is half the time of the fasted individual. So from the data you supplied the answer can not possibly be less than 1/2 of 12 hours, which is 6 hours.

Jun 17, 2012, 06:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Kor214 is correct. Either you made a mistake in entering the problem or the answer you have is incorrect. Think about it this way - the absolute least time it could ever take two people to accomplish what one could by herself is half the time of the fasted individual. So from the data you supplied the answer can not possibly be less than 1/2 of 12 hours, which is 6 hours.
    Sorry, just learning how to do this. So how would you write this problem out using a formula? Its been 39yrs since I've done this stuff... lol
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 17, 2012, 06:23 PM
    This formula will do it for you: Total time = 1/(1/T1 + 1/T2), where T1 and T2 are the times taken by each of the two individuals.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Solve the problem below and then write a 50 word response explaining the results [ 4 Answers ]

A business program costs $50,000 in total expenses: $30,000 in tuition and $20,000 in housing and books. The US government provides a grant for $10,000 of the tuition. Moreover, the university pays $20,000 of the $30,000 tuition in salary to your instructors. Being in the program is so much fun;...

Please tell me the formula to solve the below problem [ 0 Answers ]

4. Find out BEP, Margin of Safety, Fixed Cost, and desired sales to earn a profit of Rs. 2,500? Year Sales Loss/Profit Rs. Rs. 1990 10,000 (– 500) 1991 14,000 1,500 Tell me the formula to find out BEP for the above problem

How to solve a quadratic word problem [ 2 Answers ]

Im am challenged when it comes to word problems, please help! Sammy takes 5 hours longer to complete 300 lines of code than Martin. Together, Sammy and Martin can complete the code in 6 hours. Clearly explain the results showing the calculations of how long it takes each programmer to complete...

Quadratic formula word problem [ 1 Answers ]

A football is thrown to a reciver 40 yards away. Using the quadratic formula y = -0.025x(Squared) + x + 5 determine: a) How many yards from the quarterback does the football reach it's maximum height and b) What is the footballs' height at that distance.

View more questions Search