Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CyoN Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2012, 11:25 AM
    Computer motherboard question
    Does the p5kpl/1600(motherboard) support Sapphire Technology ATI Radeon 6850 HD 2gb editon? I also have 600w psu
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jun 17, 2012, 02:30 PM
    Appears to based on the links below. What is your concern?

Sapphire does recommend a certified power supply.

Product Info:
    ASUS P5KPL/1600
    Sapphire HD 6850 2GB GDDR5

Jun 18, 2012, 11:48 AM
    Thanks for helping me could you answer one more question I really don't know much about computers so excuse if my questions are a bit dumb

Jun 18, 2012, 11:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros View Post
    Appears to based on the links below. What is your concern?

Sapphire does recommend a certified power supply.

Product Info:
    ASUS P5KPL/1600
    Sapphire HD 6850 2GB GDDR5
    My concern is if my current motherboard supports the graphics card Sapphire Technology ATI Radeon 6850, I was thinking of upgrading my graphics card from the current one I've got to the Sapphire Technology ATI Radeon 6850 and I'm not sure if my motherboard supports the graphics card
    Hardware Expert

Jun 19, 2012, 01:33 PM
    OK, I thought maybe you had read about a known compatibility issue between these particular products online or some such. Physically and electrically, based on the specs, the graphics card requires an x16 PCIe slot of which your motherboard has two - the blue and black slots. So, yes you can run the new card if it fits in your case and your power supply has a 6-pin PCIe power connector to plug into the card. Put the card in the blue slot. The black slot would be used for a second card. Almost all current graphics cards require an x16 PCIe slot.

If you have something plugged into the white PCI slot between the blue and black slots, I'd suggest moving it to one of the other white slots to facilitate unrestricted airflow to the new graphics card for cooling. Also, when you install the new graphics card, first disconnect the power cord from the computer and let the motherboard drain for 30 seconds before removing any cards.

Jun 20, 2012, 03:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros View Post
    OK, I thought maybe you had read about a known compatibility issue between these particular products online or some such. Physically and electrically, based on the specs, the graphics card requires an x16 PCIe slot of which your motherboard has two - the blue and black slots. So, yes you can run the new card if it fits in your case and your power supply has a 6-pin PCIe power connector to plug into the card. Put the card in the blue slot. The black slot would be used for a second card. Almost all current graphics cards require an x16 PCIe slot.

If you have something plugged into the white PCI slot between the blue and black slots, I'd suggest moving it to one of the other white slots to facilitate unrestricted airflow to the new graphics card for cooling. Also, when you install the new graphics card, first disconnect the power cord from the computer and let the motherboard drain for 30 seconds before removing any cards.

Thank you for your help I really appreciate it.
    Hardware Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 07:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CyoN View Post
    Thank you for your help I really appreciate it.
    You're welcome. Enjoy the new graphics card.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer typing question [ 0 Answers ]

When typing a question mark"?",hold down the right shift key with the right little finger ,and then key the "/" key with the right finger.

Computer question [ 2 Answers ]

This is a computer question. The text in gmail was very small every time I entered from Firefox. In every other site, the text was normal. A tech was visiting to install a new cable line and I asked his help. He adjusted the text size under "options". It worked but created another problem. Some...

Replacement motherboard compatibility question [ 4 Answers ]

The guys at the computer shop tell me that my motherboard is about to fail. There are some capacitors that are bulging and one is leaking. My system is using a MSI K8N Neo4 motherboard with a AMD Athlon G4 Processor 3500+ and Nvidia GeForce 8400 video card. I have a 640GB WD hard drive and 3...

Motherboard - Computer slow startup [ 1 Answers ]

Hi you, A few months ago I fried my motherboard trying to put memory in, I guess maybe I didn't ground myself. Anyway I had a new one installed and now when I startup it hangs on a black screen with a flashing dash in the top right corner for about 30 seconds before clicking it to startup mode....

View more questions Search