Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmiller752 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2012, 06:37 AM
    If you pay an independent contractor in india do you pay taxes
    I am a self-employed home-based medical transcriptionist living and working in the U.S. I recently enlisted the help of a self-employed transcriptionist in India to do overflow work for me. I agreed to pay him once a month for the work he performs by transferring money from my bank account to his using xoom.com. There are no contracts between us, just a verbal agreement that I would pay him each month for services rendered. We have both agreed on how much money I will pay him for the work he performs.

I have never hired a person in another country to do work for me, so I want to know how do I handle taxes on the money I pay him? I want to make this legal and not have any problems with the IRS. And are there any other legal issues I should consider regarding paying money to a person in another country for doing work for me?

Check out some similar questions!

If I'm an independent contractor, do I have to pay taxes? [ 2 Answers ]

I don't really make that much, so I don't know if I have to pay taxes or not... especially because I am NOT an employee. Just an IC... Any insight on rules/regulations of ICs?

Main contractor refusing to pay as client refuses to pay. What can I do? [ 7 Answers ]

The main contractor I am subbie of have decided to withhold payment for the work done on their customers property as the customer claims I haven't done the full job they paid for. They are witholding payment from other jobs that I have completed and that they have been paid for in full saying that...

Independent Contractor Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

My husband started working as an independent contractor for a local company. I know we have to pay taxes on his income. But, what I am curious about is what can I deduct come tax time. Travel expenses would include gas, and food. But what else would be added to this.

Do I need to pay taxes if I am out of India for more than 183 days [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on a business trip to USA for 6 months for the first time. My salary is being credited into my bank account in India. If I stay back for a month more either in Canada or Dubai, henceforth completing more than 183 days out of India in this financial year, do I get some exemption in taxes...

Taxes for Independent Contractor [ 1 Answers ]

I just started to do work from home for a few different companies. All of which do not send a 1099 unless I earn around $400-500. I checked on the IRS website and found that I have to claim any income in excess of $500. If I earn over $500 in one year but it is split between say 4 companies and...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.