Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babe1988 Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2012, 08:08 PM
    Should I tell my boss I'm planning to apply for other jobs?
    I'm planning to apply for other jobs, do you think I should tell my current boss, she scares me and I hate it where I am, I am casual and I'm treated like a slave and no one talks to me.

The thing I'm worried about is if I get an interview they are going to ask if they can call my boss and I tell then she doesn't know it makes me look bad. So what should I do?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2012, 08:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by babe1988 View Post
    im planning to apply for other jobs, do you think i should tell my current boss, she scares me and and i hate it where i am, i am casual and im treated like a slave and no one talks to me.

the thing im worried about is if i get an interview they are going to ask if they can call my boss and i tell then she doesn't know it makes me look bad. so what should i do?
    If you want the bums rush out the door where you are now... even if you don't get an offer... then by all means tell your boss.

Might consider taking a look at your expectations... you are an employee.. you are there to do a job, its not a social club. You are going to find most jobs are going to be just like that if you don't have reasonable expectations, or the right attitude when you are there..
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 17, 2012, 05:54 AM
    You do not tell the current place till you have a job offer, At least in the US, most applications ask if they may contact current boss, and that answer is not till there is a firm offer.

Also what type of job are you doing, and yes in many and I do mean many places you will be expected to be at work on time, not miss any days, and not talk. In factors there is no talking to other employees on a line until break time. So yes most people feel like "slaves" a lot.

If this is your first job, this may just be the way life and real jobs are.

So without knowing details what you are saying sounds like most 18 year olds when they get their first real job, and expected it to be like some TV show job where they are having fun all the time. Often you will not like the people you work with,
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 17, 2012, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by babe1988 View Post
    the thing im worried about is if i get an interview they are going to ask if they can call my boss and i tell then she doesn't know it makes me look bad. so what should i do?
    Where do you get that idea? Prospective employers ask if they con contact the current employer because there may be an instance with a planned layoff or job elimination so the employer know you are leaving. But I don't know of any prospective employer that would hold it against an applicant if they do not want them to contact the current employer.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2012, 07:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Where do you get that idea? Prospective employers ask if they con contact the current employer because there may be an instance with a planned layoff or job elimination so the employer know you are leaving. But I don't know of any prospective employer that would hold it against an applicant if they do not want them to contact the current employer.
    Exactly... you simply tell them no you can not as you are still employed there... and they will and do understand that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Fee to Apply to Freelance Jobs Websites? [ 0 Answers ]

ANybody know some good freelance websites like odesk, or guru that you can apply to as many freelance jobs in design, writing, and art as you want to? But there is no fee to apply to these jobs? Thanks!

Do we have to cancel our UAE visa to apply for other overseas jobs? [ 2 Answers ]

I had a visa from Uae.But due to some reasons I had to come back and was not able to cancel my visa.it was an year before.Now I want to try for another Job.

I am looking to work at a hospital with no experience. What jobs can I apply for? [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently in school to get my LPN Certification and then move on to getting my A.S. in Nursing. Although now I work in customer service/technical area, which I hate. I really want to try to get my foot in the door with a hospital so they could (hopefully) pay for my schooling. Does anyone...

View more questions Search