Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Louwee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2007, 08:41 PM
    Judgements. What can they do?
    I have a judgement against me now. The atty's have withdrawn their lower settlement offer and raised it because they found out about some property they think I own. They are threatening all kinds of tings to get the money. Can they garnish my wages? Can they take money from my bank account? Can they seize business personal property? I offered to pay the first offer but they refused. Any ideas?
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 28, 2007, 06:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Louwee
    I have a judgement against me now. The atty's have withdrawn their lower settlement offer and raised it because they found out about some property they think I own. They are threatening all kinds of tings to get the money. Can they garnish my wages? Can they take money from my bank account? Can they seize business personal property? I offered to pay the first offer but they refused. Any ideas?
    Depending on what state you live in, they can garnish wages, seize bank accounts, repossess owned vehicles and put a lien against the property you own. When the property is sold or if you want to obtain an equity loan, they will get their money before you do. Try again to negotiate a settlement. If the attorney will not negotiate, then attempt to contact the person who is owed the money. Maybe he would prefer getting the money from you rather than sharing it with the attorney and can help the attorney to change his mind.

When the judgement hits your credit report, your score will go down. When they place a lien or garnish your wages, your score will go down again. The score has an affect on how much you pay for insurance and what rate you pay for interest on your credit card debt as well as whether a bank will loan you additional funds.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 28, 2007, 07:01 AM
    No they can't seize business property unless the judgement was against the business. Otherwise, as advocate said, they may be able to garnish wages, definitely seize bank accounts, possibly seize or place a lien against other personal property. Generally, however, personal residences are exempt.

Did you fight the judgement? Once they have the judgement, they have the upper hand. Why settle when they can get it all?
    PatsyButlerMcMichael Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2007, 04:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Louwee
    I have had a judgement placed against,I did not fight due lack money,I had lost income and now disabled.I just received a letter asking 85% of the so=called 15,000 that I owe.Can my home be taken away due to credit card debt.The 15,000 is inflated due to lawyers fees and interest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Judgements and bankruptcy [ 4 Answers ]

Hi My friend has a question she got a judgement filed bankreuprcty and she wants to know will this mean she will not have to pay the judgement? I told her she should have asked her lawyer but she said he was talking so much she can not remember He did tell her that with the means test she will...

Judgements Against Me [ 4 Answers ]

This is complicated. I am married. I have credit card debt in my name only. Two judgements against me only. I am incredibly stressed. I have my own checking account and then I have a checking with my husband. They attached a levy against my checking account. I know they will probably...

Judgements and assets [ 1 Answers ]

I have a judgement against me and I am working to try to get a void judgement. However, in the meantime I need to know what to do if the company comes after my assets. I have direct deposit of civil service retirement, but no other bank accounts. This is a joint account with my husband. He has a...

Judgements [ 4 Answers ]

I moved 2 months ago and did not notify the Collection Agency of my new address. I left a forwarding address at the Post Office and have received nothing from them by mail. If so, the post office would have forwarded it to me. Someone told me a Collection Agency can legally seek an "undercover"...

Credit card judgements [ 1 Answers ]

I have a collection agency that is after me for a credit card debt that I owe. I'm not looking to not pay the credit card company, I'm just waiting to come across some money Where I can pay off the balance altogether in full. I keep telling the collection agency That I will send them some money...

View more questions Search