Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    naumanshakir Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2007, 08:32 PM
    F-1 student on opt -
    Hello,
    I am a f-1 student currently working on opt, I came to California in April of 2002, last week I got my first paycheck and my employer deducted about 600 in taxes from my pay check, is that right? Here is the breakdown
    Fedral 500
    California state about 100
    And disablility about 17

As an international student from pakistan am I not exempt from the fedral taxes? Please advice how can I reduce the amount of taxes deducted from my pay check, this is the firt time I am paying taxex in us. If they keep deducting the taxes would I get any refund. If yes how much...

Thanks in advance for your help
    TkNeo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 09:02 AM
    1. We don't know your salary so can't tell whether the deduction was right or wrong.
    2. Yes, you are supposed to pay federal/state taxes.
    3. The deduction from the paycheck depends on the number of exemptions you have claimed.
    naumanshakir Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 10:49 AM
    //1. We don't know your salary so can't tell whether the deduction was right or wrong.
    2. Yes, you are supposed to pay federal/state taxes.
    3. The deduction from the paycheck depends on the number of exemptions you have claimed.//

Thanks for your reply

My salary is $3166.00 monthly, and I have no dependent, I was thinking of putting my brother as a depandant as he is not working for the last 4 years. And we live together. And for the number of exemptions I'm a little bit confused what are those... if you can give me some information about that, and also how much money I would be able to get back at the end of the year. Thanks any kind of help would be appreciated.

Numbers
    Momthly salary 3166$
    Fedral tax about 475-500$
    Calfornia state about 100$
    Ca disability about 18$

Once again thanks in advance for answering my wiered questions..
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 1, 2007, 08:32 AM
    To claim your brother as a dependent, HE must be a resident. His F-1 visa precludes this.
    wolfgangqpublic Posts: 189, Reputation: 29
    -

Feb 22, 2009, 05:16 PM

In the same lines,

Can we claim for a refund of the California disability tax that was deducted from the paychecks,

Please let me know. Thanks in advance.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 22, 2009, 10:42 AM
    If you worked in California, then the California disability tax was legal and cannot be recovered.
    Stylusvel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2009, 10:33 AM
    - Thank you AtlantaTaxExpert for are your responses. I have had so much questions in my mind about the taxes and you have cleared them all. I have been reading your annswers on many forums. Keep up the good work. God bless.
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 20, 2009, 02:36 PM
    Glad to help! Contact me at the email below if you want professional help with your 2009 tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OPT student tax treaty eligibility [ 1 Answers ]

I came to US in 2003 and was on OPT from Dec 2005- 31Dec 2006. I am an indian citizen. Do I qulaify for the tax treaty exemption? Was I a non resident alien for the year 2006? My H-1 only started from jan 15 2007. Which form should I file 1040NR? Thanks for any help on this topic.

Is an OPT student eligible for a tax treaty? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been a graduate student between 99-05 (Dec) and used an OPT after graduation full last year (Jan 2006 - Dec 2006). Before my OPT started, actually I returned to my country for a vacation and applied for a new F-1 visa on Jan 2006 for an entry to US. So far I filed only 1040-NR using a...

F1 student on OPT [ 4 Answers ]

Hai, I am a new member. Please help! My status in 2006: Student on F1 (I am still on F1 with OPT) since August 2001 Attended school full-time until: December 15, 2006 Working on OPT from Dec 18, 2005. My nationality: Indian

Need Information on taxes : Student on OPT [ 1 Answers ]

HI, I am currently on OPT (10-01-2006 to 09-30-2007) working in NJ. I need to know what tax deductions (percent of my monthly pay) should I expect? Also am I supposed to pay NJ SDI and NJ SUI taxes (I don't even know what this is)? Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you. Best...

F1 student on OPT with dependent [ 3 Answers ]

HI, I am an Indian student who was on OPT for whole of 2005. I am married but have not claimed my spouse as dependent till now. When I file my returns this year, can I claim her as a dependent? She does not have SSN, so should I apply for an ITIN before filing my return. Since I am from India...

View more questions Search