Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leelew Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2012, 12:40 PM
    Three phone jacks, one operable two silent
    I have three phone jacks in my house. Two of the three are inoperable. One day they were fine. The next day nothing. I have look in side each jack, all the wiring is fine. I looked at the wiring and could not detect any cracks. What am I missing?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2012, 01:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by leelew View Post
    I have three phone jacks in my house. two of the three are inoperable. One day they were fine. The next day nothing. I have look in side each jack, all the wiring is fine. I looked at the wiring and could not detect any cracks. what am I missing?
    Bad wiring... disconnected wiring.

Unless you used proper continuity testers.. you have no idea if the wiring is in fact fine or not. I've been In the Telco field for 30 years and can't tell if a wire is good or bad by looking at it if it is still visibly intact.
    leelew Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2012, 02:30 PM
    On my way to check purchase the device, will post the results.
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2012, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by leelew View Post
    On my way to check purchase the device, will post the results.
    You are going to have to check them back to the entry point... and disconnect them to test. Usually wires have been disconnected somewhere near that point.

There will be a voltage on the line coming into the house if you don't
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2012, 07:21 PM
    Phone jack has 4 wires... unless you have two lines you are only concerned with the two center pins of the jack... should be red and green on the wires... line 2 will be yellow and black on pins 1 and 4... unlikely you are using those.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2012, 07:33 PM
    Problem may be with the connection at the GOOD Jack.
    I would visually inspect all jacks and box outside for a pulled or cut wire?
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2012, 07:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Problem may be with the connection at the GOOD Jack.
    I would visually inspect all jacks and box outside for a pulled or cut wire?
    Particularly if they daisy-chained the connections jack to jack.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Switching DSL phone jacks. [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I currently have a DSL phone jack on the 2nd floor of my house and have had it there for many years. Now I want to move my DSL to a different room downstairs. I already have CAT-5 wire hooked up from the phonebox to the phone jack that I want the DSL to run through. I had both jacks hooked up...

Rewiring phone jacks [ 1 Answers ]

How can I rewire my landline phone jack?

TWO electrical phone jacks - one under the other [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: POINT # 1. I am on dial up. TWO: I have correctly rewired the wall jack as instructed on here, and still have a dial tone go my phone. However there is a jack on the baseboard, direbtly underneith the one rewired on the wall BUT it has multiple colored wires, and I still do not have...

Rewiring phone jacks [ 2 Answers ]

I read through other similar topics and couldn't find an answer. Just had the phone company out as my line was dead. Problem with wiring in the house. The pair of wires (white w/ blue mark, blue w/ white mark) that were hooked up to line one In the NIC box (red/green connectors) supposedly...

Wiring phone jacks [ 3 Answers ]

I need to rewire a phone jack back to a different number. How do I do this? Any help appreciated.

View more questions Search