Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ahmadur1234 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2012, 09:12 AM
    I want to cancel the lease but my cousin doesn't want to move
    I am in serious difficult situation.My cousin and me rented an apartment several months ago to live together because my mother was coming.As He was unable to provide enough income documents to rent the apartment, one of my friend volunteered and decided to be in the lease as Main applicant of the house and I am the co-applicant.So, me and my friend in the lease.As me and my cousin living in the apartment, after few weeks we started to have fights.I am a student and he was fighting me during my exam.Few weeks later my mother came and he started to fight my mom too.Then, he brought his family which consists his mother, two children and wife.So, There are 6 people living in a 1 bedroom apartment and fight continues everyday.I decided to cancel the lease and leave the apartment.My friend also will cancel the lease.The problem is my cousin says he will continue to live there even if I cancel the lease. I am worried because my mother is becoming sick.I don't know what to do.

Thanks.
    >personal info removed<
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 16, 2012, 10:06 AM
    ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

How long was the lease for? If your cousin is not on the lease, then he is your tenant. You will need to evict him and his family according to local laws. Then you can terminate the lease depending on is terms.

Jun 16, 2012, 10:15 AM
    The lease was for two years.. I mentioned his name in the application when I was applying for the apartment.So, the landlord knew from the beginning that he is going to be living as a cousin in the apartment.The apartment is New York city
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 16, 2012, 10:26 AM
    So why do you even believe you can "break" a lease, a lease is for those terms and can only be broken for a reason listed in the lease. So you may well have to pay for those two years.

Also what does the lease say about guests, obviously you are in violation of lease and most likely housing laws for the city. ** too many people in one apartment.

If anything it is likely you will be evicted

Jun 16, 2012, 10:53 AM
    I spoke to landlord's manager.She said if I want to leave, I can just hand over the keys and leave the apartment but I will not get deposit back.The problem is my cousin doesn't want to move out, I am not sure what actions landlord might take.
    LILL Posts: 212, Reputation: 15

Jun 16, 2012, 11:09 AM
    Simply call the local fire Marshall and/or code enforcement. Having 6 people in a one bedroom is illegal in NYC. The authorities will remove all persons not on the lease.

Jun 16, 2012, 12:03 PM
    Well given the state of NYC housing, the landlord can probably rent it before the dust settles from your move.

So you have two choices. Either transfer the lease to your cousin if the landlord allows or evict your cousin, then move.

Jun 16, 2012, 12:09 PM
    Transferring of the lease means he needs to apply for the apartment and sign a new lease... but he is refusing to do that.. he thinks if I cancel the lease and move out and he chooses to live there then I might end up paying his rents due to his overstaying.. That is what he thinks.. I am not sure what to do in that scenario

Jun 16, 2012, 12:16 PM
    For the third time. He is not signed on the lease. His is therefore YOUR tenant. So you evict him. Then you either stay or move.

Once he realizes he is not going to get free rent he may leave.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 16, 2012, 04:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    For the third time. He is not signed on the lease. His is therefore YOUR tenant. So you evict him. Then you either stay or move.

Once he realizes he is not going to get free rent he may leave.
    Or let the cousin pay the lease payments. If they are not paid the cousin will be evicted. You may end up owing the landlord, but it would be up to the LL to collect it from you.

Jun 16, 2012, 05:14 PM
    If I cancel the lease and not living there anymore, won't the landlord evict him since he is living there without lease? I was thinking if I cancel and landlord sees him living there, then landlord has upper hand to evict him because he has no right to live there

Jun 16, 2012, 06:46 PM
    Not necessarily. Until you can turn the premises back to the landlord he can hold you to the lease.

Why is this so difficult, just give him notice to vacate and if he doesn't get an eviction order.
    Frank Mangrum Posts: 86, Reputation: -3

Jun 16, 2012, 07:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmadur1234 View Post
    I am in serious difficult situation.My cousin and me rented an apartment several months ago to live together because my mother was coming.As He was unable to provide enough income documents to rent the apartment, one of my friend volunteered and decided to be in the lease as Main applicant of the house and i am the co-applicant.So, me and my friend in the lease.As me and my cousin living in the apartment, after few weeks we started to have fights.I am a student and he was fighting me during my exam.Few weeks later my mother came and he started to fight my mom too.Then, he brought his family which consists his mother, two children and wife.So, There are 6 people living in a 1 bedroom apartment and fight continues everyday.I decided to cancel the lease and leave the apartment.My friend also will cancel the lease.The problem is my cousin says he will continue to live there even if i cancel the lease. I am worried because my mother is becoming sick.I don't know what to do.

Thanks
    >personal info removed<
    May I be fFrank with you---Your friend is lessee and you are Co-applicant--- You and friend plain to cancel lease--- It will go this way---You and friend will be liable for remainder of lease and others have no place to live.--- Best wishes--- fFrank. Friends should be friends---THINK ABOUT IT!--- I question---"My cousin and me rented apartment because my mother was coming?" It seems as if you are using your cousin then want to DUMP he and his family in the street, is this the case?---I hope not ---Work it out---I know it can be done.--- Please!---Best wishes--- fFrank

Jun 16, 2012, 08:59 PM
    I understand what you are trying to say.I asked my cousin to look for another apartment for himself since his family is coming.I owe him some money and I told him that I will give you the money back.I also told him that he can have this apartment and I can leave.For him to have the apartment,I need to cancel the lease and he needs to apply, but he refused that too.Since last month he stopped sharing his part of the rent.My friend doesn't live here.He just let to use his income documents to get the apartment.My cousin is mentally torturing my mother since I am away for two months for an internship.Now, his family came and we have 7 people living in one bed room apartment( including living room). Its not livable now.I am unable to continue to fight him everyday as I am an engineering student.I gave him many options but he refused.That is why, Me and my friend decided to cancel the lease and hoping that landlord will evict him.

Jun 16, 2012, 09:41 PM
    I understand what you are trying to say.I asked my cousin to look for another apartment for himself since his family is coming.I owe him some money and i told him that i will give u the money back.I also told him that he can have this apartment and I can leave.For him to have the apartment,I need to cancel the lease and he needs to apply, but he refused that too.Since last month he stopped sharing his part of the rent.My friend doesn't live here.He just let to use his income documents to get the apartment.My cousin is mentally torturing my mother since i am away for two months for an internship.Now, his family came and we have 7 people living in one bed room apartment( including living room). Its not livable now.I am unable to continue to fight him everyday as i am an engineering student.I gave him many options but he refused.That is why, Me and my friend decided to cancel the lease and hoping that landlord will evict him.
    You were not aware of the fact your cousin was going to bring his family into the apartment? This apartment is you and your friend's responsibility--- Only you and your friend will be responsible for what that might have happened--- Only if you knew that cousin was going to move his family into your apartment--- otherwise your cousin took advantage of you. But you and friend will still be responsible for the lease--No way out, that I can see.--- Best wishes--- fFrank--As matter of fact the landlord may be able to evict all involved if it is brought to his or her attention that seven people is crowded in a one bed room apartment. ---Thought about that yet?

Jun 16, 2012, 09:50 PM
    I was.That is why I was telling him to look for another apartment because 7 people can't live in a one bedroom apartment

Jun 16, 2012, 10:23 PM
    I was.That is why i was telling him to look for another apartment because 7 people can't live in a one bedroom apartment
    Do you want to continue to live in apartment with out cousin and his family living there?

Jun 16, 2012, 10:43 PM
    I wanted to do it but he doesn't want to go.If I go to court, it will take time to evict him and he will not pay rent till the eviction.I can't afford to pay all the rent alone.Although, he refuses to pay rent in last month.If he moves out, I can keep a roommate and share the rent.I offered to give all the money that I owe to him, so he can move to other apartment,but he won't do it.. I know I am in messy situation with him.He doesn't want to solve this situation.He wants me to live there and continue to fight him. :((

Jun 16, 2012, 11:08 PM
    I wanted to do it but he doesn't wanna go.If i go to court, it will take time to evict him and he will not pay rent till the eviction.I can't afford to pay all the rent alone.Although, he refuses to pay rent in last month.If he moves out, i can keep a roommate and share the rent.I offered to give all the money that i owe to him, so he can move to other apartment,but he won't do it..I know i am in messy situation with him.He doesn't want to solve this situation.He wants me to live there and continue to fight him. :((
    Your cousins problem is he can't provide enough income documentation to rent another apartment ---- What happens to cousin now? If you gave cousin all the money you owe him will this catch him up with his rent payments?

Jun 16, 2012, 11:27 PM
    He was unable to provide the documentation before, but I believe he is able to provide income documentation now if he wants to rent another apartment.I am not sure what did u mean by catching him up with his rent payments?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cousin did not sign a lease. Now he won't move. Can I evict him? [ 2 Answers ]

My cousin did not sign a lease. We had a verbal agreement that he could stay free for 2 years for cleaning the place up after a tenant had wrecked the place. That was 10 years ago and he won't move out. Can I evict him? And how?

Cancel the lease [ 5 Answers ]

Can a landlord cancel the lease before tenant moves in

Can I cancel my lease? [ 12 Answers ]

We just sign the lease 2 months ago. Our landlord promised that he will fix some minor thing after we move in that was before. And we still keep fighting about it. For 2 month of living we already had 2 major leaks( it was not our fault), which we still keep asking him to fix. There is nothing on...

When can LL cancel lease? [ 6 Answers ]

Student Housing lease signed, no lease or security deposit. Can I cancel lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a student housing house. I require a $200 non-refundable lease deposit within 15 days of signing the lease (in this case it was due March 15). A $300 secutity deposit due June 1, and the rent less the lease deposit due August 28. I have a student that signed the lease, but never sent...

View more questions Search