Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1100 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2007, 06:23 PM
    401k early withdrawal or rollover
    Hi,

I'm working in USA since 2000 & I hv till the date in my 401k $64000.I'm on H1B visa.
    My qtn is if I move back to India within couple of years by taking a transfer in the same company in which I'm working, then what will be the consequences of this on my 401k ?
    Do I hv to pay the penalty ?If I directly transfer the 401k amount to my retirement account in India then do I hv to pay the penalty on that amount?
    What about the taxes on that amount?
    Does anybody know about it?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 1, 2007, 07:10 AM
    Many companies will let you maintain the 401K even if you leave the company. If not, roll it over into an IRA.

You are not obligated to withdraw the money from the IRA even if you leave the country. You can leave it there and manage it from your home country (quite easliy done via phone, fax, Internet access and email).

If you withdraw, you pay state and federal income taxes at the marginal tax rate PLUS a 10% Earlly Withdrawal Penalty which cannot be mitigated. In total, you tax could hit 50% of what was distributed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K early withdrawal [ 15 Answers ]

I have a 401K question about early withdrawel. Actually, let me give you a scenario: 401K balance - $28000.00 I have the understanding that 20% is immediately taken out for federal taxes with an early withdrawel, which would be in this case $5600.00, and that would make the distribution...

RollOver 401K Early Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am 29yrs Old and have $104K in a Rollover Account. I am buying my 1st home and would like to put down 20% and wanted to know if I took out $60K from my account WHAT WOULD I ACUTALLY GET AFTER TAXES ETC?

Taxes on RollOver 401K account Early Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am 29yrs Old and have $104K in a Rollover Account. I am buying my 1st home and would like to put down 20% and wanted to know if I took out $60K from my account WHAT WOULD I ACUTALLY GET AFTER TAXES ETC?

How do you get a 401k early withdrawal? [ 1 Answers ]

How do you actually go about getting your 401k withdrawal?what does the total penalty and tax percentage taken off add up to?can you get it at any time of the year? Is it possible for your 401k to be "tied up" when you need it?please help!!

401K early withdrawal [ 5 Answers ]

I have been laid off due to a work injury. To survive I must cash in my 401k, but I am trying to avoid the early withdrawal penalty. I have not yet been declared disabled but am currently pursuing this. Our family taxable income is only 26,000.00. I am currently receiving workman's compensation...

View more questions Search