Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    O_Troubles Posts: 313, Reputation: 20

Jun 15, 2012, 10:44 AM
    How To take down chimney stack
    I have a space for my stove and fridge, its 56''. I recently got a new fridge and I need one more inch to make it work. So I took out some drywall from my chimney stack and now both my appliances fit. I would love to take down the whole stack though or take everything off to expose just the brick and leave it exposed because I think that would look neat. I took off the drywall and some cement stuff ( not sure how to post pics but I have some of what I found and the layout). Just wondering what my best option is or how to do any work towards taking everything down or to the brick. Im trying to do it myself but I'm not the handiest gal out there ahah. Thanks!

Pictures are on photo bucket

Pictures by Canada_cutie - Photobucket
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2012, 12:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by O_Troubles View Post
    I have a space for my stove and fridge, its 56''. i recently got a new fridge and I need one more inch to make it work. So I took out some drywall from my chimney stack and now both my appliances fit. I would love to take down the whole stack tho or take everything off to expose just the brick and leave it exposed because I think that would look neat. I took off the drywall and some cement stuff ( not sure how to post pics but I have some of what I found and the layout). Just wondering what my best option is or how to do any work towards taking everything down or to the brick. Im trying to do it myself but im not the handiest gal out there ahah. Thanks!

Pictures are on photo bucket

Pictures by Canada_cutie - Photobucket
    You do understand WHY you have a chimney stack... and why it has to be there? Or do you not need a furnace or boiler or water heater(if that's not electric)
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 15, 2012, 05:36 PM
    To post pictures.
    Upload pictures to computer, JPEG format.
    Make your post. Click "Go Advanced

Scroll down and click "Maanage Attachments"

Browse for picture, click open.

Click "Upload"

Jun 15, 2012, 05:40 PM
    I uploaded a link to the post.
    I have a electric hot water tank and a high efficiency furnace so I don't need the chimney and I don't use it. I just need to know how to take it out
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2012, 06:21 AM
    What does the furnace use for fuel/power?

If it is anything but electric, u will need a flute/chimney to remove the gases and smoke to outside of house.

To clean exposed brick u can start with a wire brush. For more stubborn areas u will need muriatic acid. The acid is diluted with water at about 10 to 1.

When using an acid cleaner, be sure to wear long sleeve shirt, rubber gloves, and goggles. Also make sure u have an exhaust fan for good ventilation.

Chuck

Jun 16, 2012, 09:30 AM
    I really don't need my chimney! If I take it out do I just smash it in and pull out the bricks or is there a process to taking out the whole entire chimney stack
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2012, 11:29 AM
    I really dont need my chimney! If I take it out do I just smash it in and pull out the bricks or is there a process to taking out the whole entire chimney stack
    So... what are you going to do with the minimum 10 feet plus above what's in your kitchen (more if you have a floor upstairs.), and the hole that will be in the middle of your roof? And that's assuming nothing relies on the stack for support.
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2012, 12:02 PM
    In order to remove chimney, u have to start at the top and remove it 1 brick at a time until u are below the roof. Then the roof has to be patch where chimney was. From this point u can demolish any way u want. It is cleaner to do a little at a time.

When u get to the attic floor,check to make sure that none of the beams are supported by the chimney. If they are u will have to support these beams while u remove the chimney and support their weight with headers after chimney is out of the way.

Continue with this process until u have chimney out.

Chuck

Jun 17, 2012, 01:44 AM
    Thanks Chuck! Will Do ! Is this something I can do myself?
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2012, 03:11 AM
    Thanks Chuck! Will Do ! Is this something I can do myself?
    Yes, it is. Be very careful while working on roof. Keep area clean of mortar dust and debris as this will cause slippery conditions.

U will need a hammer ,cold chisel,gloves and goggles. I would also use a safety rope.

Good luck

Chuck

Jun 17, 2012, 10:34 AM
    Thanks I have the canada day long weekend off 4 days! So I will try then. I am afraid of heights so I will be very careful on the roof! My sister wants to do hers as well but she thinks she has a vent going into her stack can she just re route her venting easy
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2012, 06:40 PM
    Thanks i have the canada day long weekend off 4 days! So I will try then. i am afraid of heights so I will be very careful on the roof! My sister wants to do hers as well but she thinks she has a vent going into her stack can she just re route her venting easy
    It is hard to say if vent can be rerouted without see it.

After u finish yours, u can help her with hers. U will be an expert by then.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My chimney [ 1 Answers ]

My chimney is weighting down my floor what can I do?

Can I remove a few bricks from the middle of the chimney stack from my fireplace? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to remove the bricks from the part of the stack that is in an upstairs room so I can temporarily feed some ducting into it? I will be removing an area of about a Sq Foot

If your chimney is in the center of your house, do you need a chimney liner to vent t [ 2 Answers ]

If your chimney is in the center of your house, do you need a chimney liner to vent the water heater?

Chimney tops [ 3 Answers ]

What is the minimum height of a chimney?

View more questions Search