Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miaaaa Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Jun 14, 2012, 09:44 PM
    Medical School
    I have long time before I head to any college and even longer for medical school. But if your were to major as an Orthopedic surgeon and complete. Could I work as just primary care doctor or would I have to go back and specialize in it?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 14, 2012, 09:49 PM
    Which do you want to be? You want to earn the specialty but then work in primary care?

Jun 14, 2012, 09:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Which do you want to be? You want to earn the specialty but then work in primary care?
    Let me rephrase. If I were to go so many years to become a doctor, do I have the option to work as just a plain old doctor? Or am I stuck in that specialized field as a surgeon?

Edit: Saying that 3 years working as a surgeon and I wanted experience working in the E.R. could I? Or would I have to go back to specialize in that field?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 14, 2012, 10:01 PM
    No, you aren't stuck. You still have the option to be in primary care and would probably be a very good one with that extra knowledge. For instance, I have a master's in counseling psychology and did some counseling, but used that education when I was a librarian, working with staff, patrons, volunteers, and court-ordered community service workers.

Jun 14, 2012, 10:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    No, you aren't stuck. You still have the option to be in primary care and would probably be a very good one with that extra knowledge. For instance, I have a master's in counseling psychology and did some counseling, but used that education when I was a librarian, working with staff, patrons, volunteers, and court-ordered community service workers.
    Thank you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 15, 2012, 03:45 AM
    First you don't "Major" in Orthopedic surgery or any specific type of surgery. After you graduate from medical school you start an internship in a hospital. During that internship you do several "rotations" in different areas. At that point you start to pick your specialty. But even if you complete your residency in Orthopedic surgery, you could change.

You might have to go back to complete additional training as an internist or general practitioner to hang out a shingle as a primary care physician.

The point is you have several years of medical school then internships and residency before you have to choose your specialty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medical School! [ 2 Answers ]

My question is whether a student can apply for medical school in Canada after he/she has completed grade 12. I want to know if it is possible to just study for the MCAT after grade 12 and is the score is high then apply for medical school. Or do you have to go to university before apply?

Medical school [ 1 Answers ]

How long(how many years) it takes to finish medical school in usa

Medical School [ 1 Answers ]

What's the best medical school if I want to be a neurosurgeon?

Medical school [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, does anyone know what options are available at med school other than training to be a dcotor. Someone told me there are lot of options there even if I don't want to become a doctor so I just wanted to know if anyone knows anything about it. Thanks

View more questions Search