Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rocks7 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2012, 05:10 PM
    How to collect money owed to me from my past employer
    When I was laid off my employer refused me my last paycheck of wages earned.
    I contacted MN dept of labor and industry, filed a wage claim. DOL told me they could not get anyone to answer the phone at my past employer so they closed my claim. At this same time I know for a fact that DOL was in the process of revoking his contractors license. DOL told me to take him to small claim court. I did and I won a judgement against my past employer $7500 I filed a writ of exicution it came back to me as no available funds. My past employer is still running business as usual. How can he get away with this? Why did DOL not do anything for me? I'm still unemployed its been almost 2 years. How can I get my wages earned?
    dogdeville Posts: 69, Reputation: -4
    -

Jun 14, 2012, 08:00 PM
    Find out who owes him money a garnish your 7500. Pick the right time you will only have one easy shot at it. When he finds out he will try to run again.
    rocks7 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2012, 10:44 AM
    That won't work. He works on signed contracts with homeowners for their insurance claims. Its hard enough to get insurance company to pay his company directly. Insurance company works for homeowner and home owner usually signs checks over to him.
    What is the Minnesota department of labor and industry for? They are not there for the workers. Niether is the attorney general.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 3, 2012, 11:42 AM
    You can if he is not paid in full before he starts job, file to get a garnishment from the homeowner, find out where he is putting the money, obviously new bank account.
    Try to get some of his equipmnet if needed though court.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 3, 2012, 11:46 AM
    DOL should have done a better job; shame on them.

I suspect that they expect you to hire a lawyer. For 7500, it might be worth the hourly rate.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 3, 2012, 12:40 PM
    Actually the DOL has little power here. They can issue warnings but have no real enforcement power. Does the company own equipment? Get a writ of execution and go to a job site with a sheriff and confiscate all his equipment, trucks etc. Tell him you will return them when he pays you what he owes. Tell them the stuff has been placed in storage and he will also have to pay the storage fees.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Would like collect money owed to me by my now ex-boyfriend ? [ 2 Answers ]

In oct 2007 I loaned money to my now ex-boyfriend to buy a vehicle for a business that he wanted to start. 31.000 he had given me a detailed letter about the loan and the promise to repay in full by October 2011. He refuses to pay me back. How can I go about it on my own without an attorney ?

How do I collect money owed to me? [ 4 Answers ]

I sold a new printer to a friend he now refuses to pay me for it he says that my husband owes him money so he is taking the printer for his payment. He had asked my husband to take him fishing because he has no drivers license, my husband said he would as long as he would pay for the fuel, now he...

I have a signed paper of money owed me, how do I collect? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a signed paper, from a 'friend', of money that I loaned to him (approx. $3,000). He keeps saying he will pay but doesn't. He is part owner on land that is going to be sold. I have been told that I can put a lien on the land so that it cannot be sold until I am paid, but I can not seem to...

I am owed a lot of money.how do I collect? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I owned property in Missouri, and we sold the property with a 20% owner -finance, so we held the second deed of trust. The borrower also signed a promissory note that was notarized. The borrower defaulted on payments, and the house was foreclosed by the bank to get their money...

Money owed - but can I collect? [ 3 Answers ]

Well, I committed the cardinal sin of trying to help someone, a friend who was in desperate need of a car and needed a co-signer. I am in no position to co-sign, but I asked my boss, who is also a very good friend (still is - somehow) to co-sign. She did. It was a four or five-year loan. ...

View more questions Search