Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jitenderkpr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2007, 05:19 PM
    Dependent tax exemption for L1 visa holder
    I came to US in oct 2006 on L1 visa. My wife and son came in Dec. I started paying for their medical insurance since oct. Now I have received my W2 form.
    Can I claim my wife and son as dependents to get the tax benefit. I assume I need to file 1040NR form filing jointly with wife.

Which software or online application would be best for filing the returns in my case?

Thanks
    Jits
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 1, 2007, 07:01 AM
    You CANNOT file jointly on either Form 1040NR 04 1040NR-EZ, nor can you file either form on-line. They must be mailed. You MAY be able to report your wife and child as dependents on Form 1040NR.

To file jointly, you must BOTH choose to be treated as resident aliens for all of 2006. That requires you to report ALL of your worldwide income. If you need to request ITINs for wife and child, again you cannot file on-line; it must be mailed to the ITIN center in Austin, Texas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can F-1 visa holder without earning be a dependent for H-1b visa holder husband? [ 10 Answers ]

I know that the question is kind of strange, but here is my situation. I am having H1b visa at present (moved from OPT to H1b last September). My wife is a student with F1 student visa (in Illinois Urbana Champaign). But she has completed her residential requirement and since last year has been...

Tax Exemption for Dependent [ 12 Answers ]

I am H1 visa holder and working in US since April, 2006. I was alone here. Now my family (wife and 3 yr yound son) will be joining me on 1st Feb, 2007. While filing my tax return, Can I take some benefit in tax deductions. (Standard deduction etc on behalf of my dependent, wife and son). For...

Dependent Tax exmption for H1 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am planning to start working in USA on H1 visa from October 2007 and my wife will join me later in year 2008. Will I be able to claim for dependent tax exemption for year 2007 and 2008 though my wife joins me in end of year 2008? If my wife also gets H1 visa and accompanies me in year...

Income Tax for H1B Holder and H4 Dependent [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I came to US on 31st Aug 2006 on H1B Visa. After that I got my SSN. My Dependent Wife landed in US on 7th Oct 2006 on H4 Visa. Yet I have not applied for her ITIN Number and she is not eligible for SSN. For the year 2006, 1) How should I file my IT Returns, as a Single or Married...

Dependent tax exemption - Family never visited US [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Name: Pounraj Selvaraj Visa Status: H1B Citizen: Indian Maritial Status: Married and having 2 kids. Stay in US: Since January 10, 2006 - alone (Family is in India) Is there any way I can get tax exemption for supporting them as dependents?

View more questions Search