Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    C-COOP Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2007, 04:22 PM
    Can a toilet and a floor drain share a drain line?
    Hello,

Right now we have a main 4" cast iron sewer pipe running under our basement floor. The very last fixture on the run is a toilet. Can I remove the toilet, replace the final 90 degree elbow with a tee and replace the toilet in the same place, then extend the line a couple feet further and plumb in a floor drain? (with p-trap of course)

Thanks in advance!
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2007, 06:06 PM
    No. It will probably work but it is not legal nor good practice to leave it unvented. The toilet can pulls the water out of the floor drain trap. Not likely with 4", but could.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

Secondary Drain Line Re-Routed to Primary Line [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just purchased a newly constructed condo, and it is a construction mess. In particular, there have been numerous leaks from the HVAC secondary drain line (which drains into an interior space), apparently because the HVAC drain lines have no slope. The builder “repaired” the HVAC...

Toilet on floor drain [ 1 Answers ]

I live in an older house with a floor drain in the basement. I want to put a bathroom in the basement. Can I use the floor drain plumbing to install a toilet? furbishk

How to find a drain line siutable for new toilet? [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to add a half bath to an exterior space which could be enclosed. The new half bath that share a wall with existing wet bar with sink and ice maker drains in that wall. How deep should I dig down before I can find a main drain line under the exterior wall?

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search