Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    badley Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Jun 13, 2012, 05:44 PM
    Conception--who's the daddy?
    I dated this girl who cheated on me... she is pregnant now 27 or 28 weeks. Her last lmp was November 28, 2011... last five days. She admitted have sex with the guy November 29,30,1of dec. she had sex with me on December 11. She had an ultrasound done on February 21,2012... saying she was 12weeks pregnant. The doctor told her that she was due September 3,2012... and said her conception date is November 29,2011... she conceived on her period. Should I believe the doctor that the baby isn't mine? If she conceived on her period, isn't she off by a week or so from the ultrasound done on February 21, 2012?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 13, 2012, 05:49 PM
    The dates are too close together. The only way to know for sure who the father of this baby is, is a DNA test after the baby is born. There's no other way to determine parentage accurately.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 13, 2012, 06:36 PM
    Conception dates are give or take a week or two, never "exact" it is far to close to be for sure, without a DNA test after the child is born.

Jun 14, 2012, 06:02 PM
    So conception dates can be off by a week or 2, making it a chance the baby is mine? Have doctors using ultrasound dating conception ever been that far off? I read on other web sites that dating conception using ultrasound at 12 weeks can only be off by a few days at most? True or false?
    Pets Expert

Jun 14, 2012, 06:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by badley View Post
    so conception dates can be off by a week or 2, making it a chance the baby is mine? have doctors using ultrasound dating conception ever been that far off?
    Ultrasound is a guess based on the development of the baby, but yes, it can be up to 2 weeks off.

If I had gone by ultrasound my son should have been 11 pounds at birth. He was 8.

If my friend hadn't listened to an ultrasound she wouldn't have painted the baby's room pink after being told that it was 99% positive to be a girl. Her poor son wore pink for the first year of his life.

Ultrasounds aren't exact, they're an approximation. Only a DNA test can determine paternity.

Jun 15, 2012, 12:13 PM
    Thanks for your advice... really appreciate. So can ultrasound dating conception at 12weeks be that far off early on? Other web sites says ultrasound only a week or 2 off in the second trimester and later on in pregnancy, not in the first trimester though. http://www.perinatology.com/calculators/Due-Date.htm .sorry I'm a little confuse. Plus she's already engaged to the other guy now base off the ultrasound conception date info saying conception belongs to him on nov.29 encounter.
    Pets Expert

Jun 15, 2012, 04:31 PM
    I know this sucks. You want an answer now. You want someone to say "no chance this baby is yours". Sadly that can't be done. An ultrasound, no matter when it's done, can be off by two weeks either way. The fact that you stated that she conceived while on her period, makes things even more muddy. She can't go by her last menstrual cycle then.

I know you want answers, and you can get them, but not now. You'll have to wait until the baby is born and get a DNA test. I'm sorry, but really, a DNA test is the only answer. Everything else is just a guess.

Jun 15, 2012, 05:09 PM
    Thanks... yeah, I guess I have to wait until sept.3
    Pets Expert

Jun 15, 2012, 05:46 PM
    thanks...yeah, i guess i have to wait until sept.3
    It's not that long to wait. I know it's hard. But it will fly by. Then you can get the DNA test, and hopefully move on with your life.

Let us know how it goes, and good luck. :)

Jun 15, 2012, 06:05 PM
    Well I don't think a DNA test will be needed, its either the baby will be mix or not (white&black)... but yeah not that further to wait. Thanks will do.
    Pets Expert

Jun 15, 2012, 06:07 PM
    well i dont think a dna test will be need, its either the baby will be mix or not...but yeah not that further to wait. thanks will do.
    Get the DNA test anyway. It's not always easy to tell by looking at a child, whether it's mixed. In fact, I have known people that had a biracial child, even though both parents were whiter than snow. It happens.

A DNA test isn't that costly considering the peace of mind it will give you.

Jun 15, 2012, 06:28 PM
    Good advice... I haven't talk to her in months though,(actually we have no contact at all.) she moved out of state, I don't know if she will or not with the whole DNA test... she believes without a shadow of doubt the baby is his, also I believe so too... just wanted someone else opinion about it. Well only time will tell... thanks.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 15, 2012, 07:19 PM
    Not all mixed children look mixed so "looks" never is 100 percent

Jun 15, 2012, 07:37 PM
    That's true for mix kids... but this union, the baby will either be all white or mix with curly hair weather very light skin or dark brown skin... DNA test sounds good, but its not my call to make... I think the only way she would get one, if the baby don't have visible traits of the guy she's with.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 15, 2012, 07:49 PM
    Did you know that all, or the majority, or back and or mixed babies look white for the first few days of life?

Jun 15, 2012, 08:45 PM
    Yes I know that the majority of babies look white until they are a few days old of life... but as I mention, the only way she would doubt the baby belong to the other guy... is if the baby didn't have traits after him... conceiving on your cycle is rare for any woman, and with a 10 to 11 day between sex partners... it just seem like it's a given that the ultrasound dating conception to her second day of cycle is right... at least that's what the doctor assured her... he was confident in his dating. Only time will tell I guess

Jun 16, 2012, 06:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    I know this sucks. You want an answer now. You want someone to say "no chance this baby is yours". Sadly that can't be done. An ultrasound, no matter when it's done, can be off by two weeks either way. The fact that you stated that she conceived while on her period, makes things even more muddy. She can't go by her last menstrual cycle then.

I know you want answers, and you can get them, but not now. You'll have to wait until the baby is born and get a DNA test. I'm sorry, but really, a DNA test is the only answer. Everything else is just a guess.
    Sorry for all the questions, but what did you mean by being more muddy because the ultrasound dating conception on the 2nd day of her period? Why can't she go by her last menstrual cycle?
    Pets Expert

Jun 16, 2012, 11:32 AM
    sorry for all the questions, but what did you mean by being more muddy because the ultrasound dating conception on the 2nd day of her period? why can't she go by her last menstrual cycle?
    She can't go by her last period because you stated she conceived while on her period.

Most times dates are figured out by the last menstrual cycle. The majority of women are most fertile around 2 weeks after their period. If she conceived while on her period, which you really can't know for sure, then there's a 2 week window, or more, where the dates could be off.

Jun 16, 2012, 12:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    She can't go by her last period because you stated she conceived while on her period.

Most times dates are figured out by the last menstrual cycle. The majority of women are most fertile around 2 weeks after their period. If she conceived while on her period, which you really can't know for sure, then there's a 2 week window, or more, where the dates could be off.
    Oh.. okay, so I guess the doctor had to date her pregnancy from conception and not from lmp.
    Pets Expert

Jun 16, 2012, 01:17 PM
    oh..okay, so i guess the doctor had to date her pregnancy from conception and not from lmp.
    And that's another issue. There's no way to know when she conceived, unless she's 100% sure of when she ovulated. It's all a guess.

You still seem to be grasping at straws. Really, there's no way you're going to get any answers until the baby is born and a DNA test is done.

You can go round and round with this for the next few months, and you still won't know who the father is until the DNA test comes back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Daddy was always there! Now what? [ 2 Answers ]

My son has been with his girfriend every step of the way every doctors appt. the hospital through birth he took vacation days and never left her side in the hospital. He has been in her life everyday, he has kept his baby while babies mom was in schoo. His girl friend has been estranged from her...

Not sure who daddy is. [ 12 Answers ]

When my daughter was born I didn't list a father on the birth certificate. At the time I was not sure who her father was and I'm still not. She is two months old and my boyfriend and I have decided to get married. Is there a way he can be added to the birth certificate even if we are not sure he is...

I may be 1 of 3 whose her Daddy? [ 3 Answers ]

17 yrs ago an ex-sleep over gal of mine, showed up at my house with welfare documents for me to sign, that admitted I was her newborn daughter's father and that I WOULD pay child support. Stupidly (and very drunk) I signed the paper. I hadn't even known this woman was pregnant until about a week...

He wants to be her daddy [ 1 Answers ]

My husband would like to adopt my daughter. Her biological father is unknown and on her birth certificate there is no one is the spot of FATHER. How do we go about getting her name changed and him as her father on her birth certificate?

View more questions Search