Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amedina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2012, 09:05 AM
    Hipaa violation cases 2012
    Can a HIPAA Officer of a hospital be charged with penalties and/or prison for an HIPAA violation he previously alerted the hospital of not being compliant?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 13, 2012, 09:38 AM
    HIPAA does provide for the possibility of fines and/or imprisonment for a person who knowingly:

- uses a unique health identifier, or causes one to be used;
    - obtains individually identifiable health information relating to an individual; or
    - discloses individually identifiable health information to another person;

The penalties are harshest if the information is obtained under false pretenses, or is used for personal financial gain or malicious harm. Fines can also be placed on any person who violates a HIPAA provision. Based on what you're saying this individual is not realeasing any personal health information himself, so I don't see any risk of this person being charged.

For reference see: Penalties for HIPAA Violations

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA violation [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancé's ex girlfriend violated HIPAA by digging into my personal medical records at the hospital she got hired at. She then posted details of my medical history online on Facebook and spread the info to multiple persons through text messages As well. She was also making death threats and...

HIPAA violation [ 2 Answers ]

I mentioned in front of a patient about an event. I did not say the patients name or the doctor. Is this a violation?

Hipaa violation? [ 2 Answers ]

I am curious whether it is a hipaa violation if a doctor uses information about a patient given to him by the patients spouse. For example, a patient is receiving anti anxiety and pain meds and has been for years. The doctors office always felt it was possible this patient could be over using the...

View more questions Search