Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joest23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2012, 09:58 PM
    Surgery for chronic rib pain?
    I'm posting this on behalf of my girlfriend. I'm not sure how many actual doctors are on here, but I appreciate answers from any that are!

A few years ago she was involved in an accident that broke/fractured a few of her ribs on both sides. Ever since then she's been having chronic pain in her ribs — a sharp, shooting pain that sometimes causes her to lose her breath for a few moments to a few minutes.

Her doctor has recommended both a breast reduction surgery (She's 5'1'' with 36 D's and they want to go to a low C at the largest?) and some sort of "cleaning" of her ribs (as she describes it). The reason I'm asking this question is because she's fairly submissive and agrees with doctors, but she doesn't seem to trust her doctor or believe in this surgery.

Other than the obvious emotional issue of a woman 'having' to reduce the size of her breasts without really wanting to, she doesn't seem to believe it'll work 100%, and being a non-reversible surgery it's something that worries me.

I'm wondering if this makes any sense to doctors out there? I've heard that rib pain takes the longest to heal and is usually plagued by complications in the healing, which makes me think the whole reduction surgery isn't needed. I mean, I'm perfectly content with 36 D's but they're not exactly the size that comes to my mind when I think of "those are so big she must have back problems" big. Also, I've been thinking a mix of healing ribs with a possibly improper fitting bra could be causing that pain?

I just want to make sure she's making a choice she won't regret. I've also been thinking of getting her to book an appointment with a chiropractor or physical therapist before her booked surgery happens just to see if a non-surgical method could offer any help?

Thanks for any help you can offer!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 12, 2012, 10:03 PM
    She needs a second opinion if she hasn't had one already.

Ribs can take a while to heal, but certainly not a few years. Months at best.

At 5'1" and 36D's she should be having some rib pain as well as back pain as her tiny frame is not built to carry such weight.

I would have her seek a second opinion if she hasn't already.

P.S. There are no doctors that belong to this site that can advise her. She will have to see one in real life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am having Chronic Renal Failure and I want to die before surgery! [ 7 Answers ]

My creatinine levels are rising and I don't have the strength to face transplantation or dialysis. I constantly think of killing myself. But I love my husband so much and don't want to disappoint him. But I hate living this way in fear every day every minute. I am caught.. I want to die but cannot...

Congestive heart failure with pain above waist on right side with rib pain [ 1 Answers ]

What could be the cause of pain or soreness on right side above waist, also shortness of breath

Chronic hip pain continuously, pain has moved to the middle of the thigh [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anything other than ibuprofen, naproxen, arthritic pain medicine, loratab than may help this continousl chronic pain.

Rib pain [ 1 Answers ]

On my left side I have been having pain in my ribs. It actually feels like it right under my ribs. There is one spot that feels sore. It was a mild pain for about a year and I thought I was just sleeping on my side wrong. It has been getting worse and now on my right side in the same spot as my...

Right rib pain [ 2 Answers ]

They ran all the blood work, normal, gall bladder was fine too, my right rib hurts extremely bad everyday... what does it me, this is been on going for about 3 months... the doctors think I am crazy... for some reason they won't send me to a gastrologist... can anyone help me as to what could be...

View more questions Search